Author Topic: Finish on interior sheet metal ( 69 R code mach 1 )  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Bring Sally Up

Finish on interior sheet metal ( 69 R code mach 1 )
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
Hi Guys
               First I’d like to thank everyone for their great input, This forum has been a huge help to me so far. I recently bought a 69 Mach 1 and after pulling the Marti report found out this was a 1 of 1 car with these options (Aztec Auqa, PS , PB, AC,9 inch,4 speed,351,tachometer)
I figured since it’s a 1 of 1 it would be a good candidate for a concurs resto.
My questions is this , Was the sheet metal in the car (floors ,Roof, Pillars ,dash ext) left in red oxide primer since it would all be covered up ?

Thanks again

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Finish on interior sheet metal ( 69 R code mach 1 )
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your concours related efforts

.............I recently bought a 69 Mach 1 and after pulling the Marti report found out this was a 1 of 1 car with these options (Aztec Auqa, PS , PB, AC,9 inch,4 speed,351,tachometer)
I figured since it’s a 1 of 1 it would be a good candidate for a concurs resto.

Think you will find that most cars, when broken down in specific patterns will turn out one be 1 of 1's. Just means that that combination was not popular originally in your case 1969

My questions is this , Was the sheet metal in the car (floors ,Roof, Pillars ,dash ext) left in red oxide primer since it would all be covered up ?

Not all off the sheet metal in the interior of the unibody would have been coated with red oxide. Much of the bottom of the roof, panels behind panels and reinforcement remained bare steel or with a minimal amount of overspray from the red oxide coat or following ones. The interior surfaces (what is visible without all the parts added) was a combination of body color paint, body color overspray, gray primer overspray, red oxide and blacked out areas depending on where it was built, where it was built  and body type

Since you didn't provide when your car was built or where I'll wait to post any pictures of examples since I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. Did see that your title indicates and "R" but your description states a "351" so want to make sure 

You will be asked this allot as you ask questions (don't expect us to remember from one post to another ;)  Many just make it part of their signature so they don't have to keep typing it in every post.

Again - welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:47:58 AM »
Did see that your title indicates and "R" but your description states a "351" so want to make sure

He probably has a 9R San Jose car.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:37 AM »
He probably has a 9R San Jose car.

Could be but before I post 6-12 pictures wanted to be sure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)