Author Topic: Engine Lifting Hooks  (Read 2221 times)

Offline 9F94M567042

Engine Lifting Hooks
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I have a question regarding the engine lift hooks. I have read the previous topic on this but have a few additional questions.
I believe I have an original set of lift hooks that I would like to reinstall.
Did Ford originally intend to use this as a valid way to lift the engine? It seems to me that with these mounted on the exhaust manifold
mounting bolts only, that they would not be strong enough to lift and hold the engine even if one were to remove some of the extra weight.
For example, the a/c unit, pulleys, alternator & power steering pump.
Does anyone have a clear picture/diagram of how they were mounted? I know the cougar used longer bolts on the passenger side to mount the
heat shield for the air cleaner. Were these same long bolts used on the drivers side as well?
I have looked thru the MPC and have found NO reference to the hooks or mounting hardware.
Thanks,

Offline jwc66k

Re: Engine Lifting Hooks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Did Ford originally intend to use this as a valid way to lift the engine?
Yes.
I know the cougar used longer bolts on the passenger side to mount the heat shield for the air cleaner. Were these same long bolts used on the drivers side as well?
I would assume so. My 69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W 4V had a pair. I removed the LH bracket to use as an adapter to fit a VW bus transaxle to a 60 VW Baja.
I have looked thru the MPC and have found NO reference to the hooks or mounting hardware.
No reference in the MPC as these were assembly aids and no service requirement was needed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »
Jim,
So I assume these are like the tie down brackets in the rear? My car still has those BTW
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
Jim,
So I assume these are like the tie down brackets in the rear? My car still has those BTW
Dave
They were supposed to be taken off . Many did not get taken off but I believe there were more that did get removed then did not. If they were all left on they would be way more common on surviver cars and swap meets etc. then they have turned out to be. I believe in the case of the specialty engines like Shelby GT350  the lift hooks were typically taken off . FYI 67 -70 GT350  used stock exhaust manifolds for the given engines. Vintage photos and field observations seem to confirm this.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »
Did Ford originally intend to use this as a valid way to lift the engine? It seems to me that with these mounted on the exhaust manifold
mounting bolts only, that they would not be strong enough to lift and hold the engine even if one were to remove some of the extra weight.
For example, the a/c unit, pulleys, alternator & power steering pump.

Would offer that I would trust those  considering angle of tension and everything else than what many use all the time - a plate and loop attached to the four carburetor mounting studs - sometimes in an aluminum manifold

Does anyone have a clear picture/diagram of how they were mounted?

Guess your asking about a small block 69? If so do a search for the pictures I posted of a 69 GT350. Lots of pictures and the lift hooks were still on that engine and were returned during restoration. HINT: use my screen name as "by user" and search for  "69 GT350 restoration drivetrain"

I know the cougar used longer bolts on the passenger side to mount the
heat shield for the air cleaner. Were these same long bolts used on the drivers side as well?

Yes
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:10:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 9F94M567042

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:55:52 AM »
Jeff,
Yes, this is for a 69' 351W
Pictures were GREAT!
Thanks Very Much
Dave