Author Topic: '66 non-GT convertible exhaust question  (Read 1802 times)

Offline johnboy

'66 non-GT convertible exhaust question
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
I'm not giving up on overcoming the lack of availability of midpipes with resonators  ('66 non-GT convertible).    Why not have a good muffler shop cut a non-resonator pipe and splice in a reasonable facsimile resonator?    Does anyone have a good photo of what the resonator looks like?  Grasping at straws here...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:41:15 PM by J_Speegle »
'66 Convertible family owned since new
VIN: 6R08C219476 - Jun 21, '66 - San Jose
'06 GT Convertible just for fun

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '66 non-GT convertible exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:37:54 AM »
Few cars with their single exhaust still in place and fewer good pictures in my collection

Can't see if these are originals (can't make out markings on resonators) but they are welded in place front and back

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline johnboy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
These photos help a LOT!  Thanks Jeff!

I'll send you photos of what I come up with. 

Regards,
John K
'66 Convertible family owned since new
VIN: 6R08C219476 - Jun 21, '66 - San Jose
'06 GT Convertible just for fun

Offline Scott302

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
We are working on it.  The correct size and shape mufflers and resonators are done  Now working on the matching intermediate pipes.  Hoping they are done in a month or so.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
scott.

that's sounds like music to many a owners ears..........
Dual exhausts cars have been spoilt for several years now.  time to even the playing field for single exhaust cars.

is it going to be a concours correct system??

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Scott302

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »
The muffler and resonator are the correct size and shape.  Missing only the debossed numbers and logos.  The pipes will be pretty darn close.  Trying to get them to do the spacer/adapter right but without an original sample I only have poor photos to go by.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
The muffler and resonator are the correct size and shape.  Missing only the debossed numbers and logos.  The pipes will be pretty darn close.  Trying to get them to do the spacer/adapter right but without an original sample I only have poor photos to go by.
Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Since when you had already finished the muffler and resonator?

Because last year (Jun 2016) I purchased you a complete single system with resonator and muffler.... the resonator is identical to the above pictures posted by Jeff.... but I want to make sure they're the ones you're telling.

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
The job is not finished till every aspect is finished. (paperwork is last ~translation: no listing as "available for sale" till everything is ready & tested) Patience ;)

I just want to know which were exactly the changes done on the resonator and muffler that Scott is referring to from the ones on the system that I've purchased last year from NPD....as I don't see any major differences on these items that I have, at least on the resonator compared to the pics posted by Jeff.

And as Scott said, neither the resonator nor the muffler have any numbers and logos on them. Same as the parts that I purchased. So, I don't know which are exactly the differences.

Thank you,
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline Scott302

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
The mufflers and resonators are new tooling with unique part numbers.  Single exhaust transverse mufflers have always been dimensionally challenged compared to the originals.  About 4-5 years ago (I've lost track) Imco, who was the main supplier of mufflers to the aftermarket, decided they were getting out of the muffler business.  Every exhaust supplier went scrambling for new sources.  Keep in mind that mufflers for older cars are a curiosity for these suppliers who make mufflers for the main stream replacement market.  The new sources were just as dimensionally challenged as Imco and they did not make the resonator.  We contracted with a manufacturer for mufflers and resonators that were correctly shaped and dimensionally correct.  They are a lot more expensive than the standard mufflers supplied in the current repro exhaust kits and since they are dimensionally different we had to make separate pipes available to match.  The single exhaust transverse muffler for 65-66 & 67 are $200 and the resonators are $150.  These are extremely low production parts.  We now have correct mufflers for 65-66 & 70 inline and 67-69 transverse dual exhaust cars as well.  The mufflers started arriving into stock in January and now that I have both the single exhaust muffler and resonator I can send them to the pipe supplier to create fixtures for bending the matching pipes. 
The change in the new MCA rules has put a flame under me to get these things done.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »
Many thanks Scott,

It would be great if you could post a couple of pictures of those new parts....  ;)

Regards,
Luis

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »
I recently ordered the concourse muffler and pipes and they look good.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
I recently ordered the concourse muffler and pipes and they look good.

Thanks for the pic Chris! The pipes that you ordered are they the standard version? Because as Scott previously said, they are still working with the pipes for this new concourse version.

Regards
Luis