Author Topic: Heater Control Cables and Heater Controls  (Read 803 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Heater Control Cables and Heater Controls
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:24 PM »
Has anybody ever tried to lube the 3 control cables that connect from the heater controls to the heater box?  How about the heater controls?  Not sure if this was done when manufactured or if I should even bother to do it and how it should be done.  Is this even necessary?  I have the heater box out for restoration.  I have not taken out the heater control assembly and cables yet but with the heater box out the temp control is not operating smoothly.  Seems like it is binding but the cable looks ok.  The other controls operate "just ok" (fan switch is fine).  Smoother operation would be great.  I did a search and didn't find anything.  Thoughts?
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline jwc66k

Re: Heater Control Cables and Heater Controls
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:18 AM »
Try graphite powder. It's available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Panef-Corp-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant/dp/B0016GZQ60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489205103&sr=8-1&keywords=graphite+powder
I used to use it on off road racing components as oil attracts dirt and dust.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »
I've used plain old WD-40 w/ good results.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline awhtx

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 06:46:39 PM »
I remove the cables and control panel from the car and hang them from a piece of wire. Then I use a pump oil can to squirt a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone on the push/pull wire and let it run down inside the cable housing. When it comes out the opposite end I quit.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:51:45 PM »
One issue with oils is that they will "attract" and capture dust and airbore grit which can cause negative issues down the road.

Same affect it has on using it in locks and similar mechanical items
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)