Author Topic: 1969 Console Screws  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Dirk Pitt

1969 Console Screws
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
I'm restoring two 1969 Mach 1 Consoles (April & July '69 Dearborn builds).  Between the two they appear to have a random assortment of screws and I'm trying to identify the correct hardware.

Specifically:  I'm trying to figure out what the two original screws are that secure the bracket at the front of the console and screw into the plastic retainers for the wiring and the one that secures the plastic wiring retainer just in front of the console box.  I realize none of these are visible but trying to figure out what to order from AMK.  Looking at the screws I removed I believe these are the 10-16, 3/4" long, 3/8" OD (part number 376370, page 153 in the AMK guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-1973).  Just confirming these should be black (not stainless) and that I have the size correct?  Mine appeared to have been black but I see the repro units use stainless.

I'm also wondering what the screws that hold down the center trim located in the area for the seat belts (when not in use)?  Are these black or stainless?  Any idea on size or AMK part #?

I can't find any console assembly diagrams anywhere.  Do they exist?
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Console Screws
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
There is an exploded view of the 69-70 console in the MPC illustrations section

The screws that hold the wire loom loops are identified as 55923-S (Check Jim's hardware spread sheets in the library to find the related details)

The steel brace is not show possibly since it was not serviced as a separate piece. Think the screws may be short P & O Phillips head Unfortunately didn't include them in the picture below :(

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I rarely remember to use the MPC.  My copy is so old that every time I go to use it Adobe or something is out of date.  Interestingly, the diagram doesn't show either of the two support brackets (the one in front in your photo or the one supporting the console box).  The MPC diagram still shows the console box mounting to the console with clips.  It also doesn't show a difference between 4-speed & automatic for the trim plate. The screws I was thinking of are called out in the MPC as 55926-S and 55934-S.

Jim's spreadsheets are a bit different but are very helpful.
I used several sources to make the spreadsheets, the "Osborn Assembly Manuals", the "75 MPC", TSB's, going out to my 66 "K" and measuring what I found. To determine the dimensions, the "AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners", "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalogs" (Jan 65, July 66 and Jan 69), my own measurements (referred to as "JWC File" on the spreadsheets) and AMK's sale catalog. The best sources are the Osborn Assembly Manuals, however, many pages and even whole manuals are missing (like the 69 Interior). In the case of 1969 and 1970, the cars have a "similar" design. On that basis, I made the assumption that the same, if not similar, hardware items were used. I realize that is NOT a perfect assumption, but it's all I had available. After 50 years, "things" change (like hardware) during service, restoration or basic maintenance. I also realize that the various Ford assembly line were not making concourse grade cars and used whatever worked at the time of initial assembly.
To let you know, I research almost every hardware question posed, here and elsewhere. In your case, I found documentation about the console wire harness brackets and updated my master files. The documentation is in the form of the "Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog, January 1969" book. I recommend you get one as there are many non-standard brackets, clips and other fasteners that are difficult to describe verbally, and are best identified by the basic dimensioned sketch in that book.
Here's a link to an online 75 MPC - http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
I recommend you download it. There are 45 files, about 430mb total in size.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Vcode

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
They (55923-S) are shown in AMK catalog.
Page 85 second row - center column.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »
So both of your consoles used the metal reinforcing bracket at the front?  I know some had a reinforcing ridge molded in which I believe eliminated the bracket.  Here are pictures of both styles.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
So both of your consoles used the metal reinforcing bracket at the front?  I know some had a reinforcing ridge molded in which I believe eliminated the bracket.  Here are pictures of both styles.

Something else to keep an eye open for  ::)   at least somewhat hidden once installed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:12:01 AM »
3 consoles 69-70     all 69  &  early 70 with the lh front hole rivet & different screw hole spacing in center area for the 70 hurst shifter floor hump then late 70 with the glovebox lid locking button.