Author Topic: Scam Alert from parts wanted post!  (Read 4448 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Scam Alert from parts wanted post!
« on: March 14, 2017, 02:06:33 AM »
Scammer calls your number under name of TJ and talks about dead father-in-law, selling house and deaf wife Diane Inglis etc... Has parts you are specifically looking for.  Has to move fast and talks about people all over the country bugging him and his deaf wife for the parts.  He will ship from Greyhound, has no pics, no paypal, only Western Union. The POS operates out of Oakland, Sacramento, Reno area.  Studies parts and knows technical info just to make even more believable, just to seal the deal.  Will actually contact you after he has your money so you don't suspect and he gets far enough away.  Fake number using right now is 510-421-4223. He will change all I am sure.  My dumb self fell for it, and I thought I was smart enough to avoid it but apparently not. Lesson learned is no Western Union to anyone you do not know.  There is no refund or recourse like Paypal.  Too good to be true is just that!  Hope this saves someone else from my embarrassment and setback.   

Hey POS, It'll come around, it always does, enjoy other peoples hard earned money you weak, incapable of anything worthwhile, drain on society!  You just stole from a special needs kids Mustang restoration fund.  Bet your parents are proud!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Scam Alert from parts wanted post!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:01:15 AM »
Did this happen from a want ad on this site?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
Probably here or at VMF, but my fault!  I had the add on VMF also.  Trying to pull it there but I cannot delete it like I could here.  Just want to make everyone aware so they are not  taken like my dumb butt was.

v/r
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Guess we could close that section to non-members, so they could not be viewed. Might reduce the exposure but in most cases people can respond to post without joining

Just thinking out loud
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
J Speegle,

Wife thought the same thing out loud last night.  May sound good but then it would limit innocent people also.  I take responsibility for my carelessness.  I just don't want him to get anyone else out there.  I have filed a police report as that is about all I can do.  The site needs to do what's best for it's members as the free flow of information is what makes our country so unique and special, that along with the right to carry something with crosshairs that I would like to level on someone right now, but once again, my fault for being stupid and gullible.

v/r
Dan   

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Guess we could close that section to non-members, so they could not be viewed. Might reduce the exposure but in most cases people can respond to post without joining

Just thinking out loud

Not sure it would stop the scammers, but what about leaving it viewable to the public but make all contact info private, ie you have to be a member to contact a member. So if I was a visitor and saw something I wanted to buy or sell, I'd have to sign up to contact the member to finish the deal. May not stop them but would add an extra layer of identification, in that at least the admin(s) would know the real email address that could be reported to the authorities.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
Some sites require a minimum of say 5 posts to place an add. 5 posts are easy to do if you want to get something done. Annoying if you are screwing around.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
Not sure it would stop the scammers, but what about leaving it viewable to the public but make all contact info private, ie you have to be a member to contact a member. So if I was a visitor and saw something I wanted to buy or sell, I'd have to sign up to contact the member to finish the deal. May not stop them but would add an extra layer of identification, in that at least the admin(s) would know the real email address that could be reported to the authorities.

Don't believe non-members can contact members through the PM or by posting to the thread. Only contact method would be if the person placing the ad includes their contact info (phone number, email address ...) in the ad

Some sites require a minimum of say 5 posts to place an add. 5 posts are easy to do if you want to get something done. Annoying if you are screwing around.

Current subject, if I read it correctly, is not a issue with people that join and post but from others seeing a wanted ad and responding. Have a minimum requirement before posting and ad would be another issue we've not had a problem with so far.  Think that is designed more to keep people from just joining and posting ads to benefit them.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Filed a local police report and an FBI report and a Western Union Fraud Case.  Will wait and see.

Thanks all, sorry for the drama, just wanted to warn others!

v/r
Dan

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
Only contact method would be if the person placing the ad includes their contact info (phone number, email address ...) in the ad
In the Marketplace section, put a note in each heading - "Do not put your phone number or e-mail on ads - use PM".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:51 AM »
Small merchants accepting credit cards for payment have no fraud protection.  Credit cards are the best protection when buying but offer no protection as a small merchant, larger operations have agreements that the smaller merchants do not qualify for.

One scam and there are many, is that the crooks use an partner's credit card and once the item was shipped and received the partner reports the card stolen.  The partner is covered by the credit card company but the small merchant is not and took a total loss.  The police are too busy to investigate but even if they did, the goods arrived at granny's flophouse of which there are thousands all around the country.  The stolen goods are fenced from there.

Credit cards operate under specific laws as set by congress and we know they stand behind the buyer like a hungry dog on a piece of meat.

Debit cards have less protection as set by law and will offer fraud protection IF the card was used without your permission, the number was hacked for example.  If you are simply unhappy with goods you purchased on a debit card, which happened to me, the bank may inform you that you are out of luck.

Not so fast.  The debit card holder has a powerful yet time consuming weapon called a charge back to which my former bank didn't tell me about.  When a charge back is initiated the issuer which would have been my former bank initiates an investigation and paper work is required by both parties.  At some point in the process the mother hen issuer, visa or master card for example, takes over. The merchant pays a percentage of each debit sale to the issuer and a chargeback investigation, regardless of the final decision, may result in a higher fee which is charged to the merchant when a buyer uses that debit card.  For this reason merchants may be willing to work out a resolution with you when you politely inform them that your hope to avoid all the paperwork, they will know what you are talking about.

Paypal was formed to help the small merchant and are not required by law to follow the same rules as credit and debit cards.  The protection is limited to the buyer regardless of what they lead us to believe, read the contract.  If you use friends and family to send money to a small merchant you have no protections they say, although I was refunded money under friends and family because they violated a basic tenet of contract law which I caught them on with regard to the email address that my payment was sent to.  If you pay the 2 or 3 percent and send money using the merchant option, pay pal will release the funds to the seller once a tracking number is provided to pay pal.  When your 500 dollar brick arrives and you call Pay Pal they will initiate an investigation.  The seller and his associates have hundreds or thousands of Pay Pal accounts but they leave a small amount of money in said account and vigorously defend stating that your brick in the box is an attempt to defraud them. If Pay Pal rules in your favor Pal Pal itself has to refund you the 500 dollars, they have no way of getting the money back from the seller.  Unless you are big time user of Pay Pal, good luck. 

I will only use a credit card to purchase goods and services, if a seller online will not accept a credit card, I don't need it.

There are thieves reading this and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.  It's a horrible life living with fellow thieves which are your bosses that are smarter and brighter than yourself and taking the lion's share of the bootie and leaving you with next to nothing .  I can spot you poor creatures by the written word.  Your bosses speak on the phone in a college level educated manner, the rest of the gypsy bottom of the barrel slow witted cohorts squat in smelly dirty rat holes cruising the internet all day.  When you type a note in broken English to a "customer" and try to sound smart, "sadly" even spell check can't hide your rank stupidity.  Sorry to hurt your feelings Omar and the other miscreants in your rat hole, a little tough love here.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:45:37 AM by 69cobrajetrugae2 »

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 09:27:57 AM »
The last paragraph is Golden and probably so true.  Thanks.

Dan

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
The last paragraph is Golden and probably so true.  Thanks.

Dan
I second that.  They are in some third world hole country.

Offline silverton_ford

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 01:30:20 PM »
An old thread, but still a very concerning topic. 

Just as a reminder...watch out for people trying to scam you into buying "something" that they have no intention on sending you.  It is still very real.  Do your due diligence before sending money.

Check out this thread on the SAAC forum where a few folks were recently contacted by a scam and one person was scammed.

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=15398.0

If you google the phone number of the scammer you can see many other forums being scammed too - - 985-241-0277   
(I'm sure this number will be different for another scam, but this was the recent one.)
Thank you, Brian Littlefield

My Cars:
66 Mustang Conv C-code, 4 spd, Pony Interior
6S2339

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »
I looked up area code 985 (see above) and it's in Louisiana. You can use this area code site to see where someone is located by area code, or at least where it originated - https://www.bennetyee.org/ucsd-pages/area.html
It's a useful "tool" in some instances, to detect a scam.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.