Author Topic: Now for something different.  (Read 3044 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Now for something different.
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
We can tell that the seasons are changing in many locations as the number of questions have dropped off in the last few weeks.  This often happens this time of year as people roll their cars (or prepare to) out of winter storage or are preparing for the show seasons.

Been thinking about doing something that some might be fun, interesting, challenging and/or educational. Not sure how it's going to work out but I think its the best to just give this idea a try. If it doesn't work out that is fine. If it does - great.

The challenge.

1- I'll post a single picture taken of a car. Often taken at a yard somewhere in the US. 

2- Take a good look at what you see and what you might not be seeing.

3- Remember that is some situations parts and items from other cars may be included in the picture posted.

4- You are allowed only one response per thread and the thread will be locked at the end of a predetermined date and time of my choosing. 

5- Tell us, as best you can, what the car originally was. Things like year, maybe month, options and accessories, body type........ all count. Details like missing carpet, a mounting screw, battery disconnected don't count.

6- Everyone get access to the same (good or poor) picture.

For this first test your responses will be public so you can "borrow" or look at each others work as the week goes along or wait until the last minute to sneak your response in. :)

Likely didn't cover everything - reason for the test.  Hope you find this challenging and fun.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:12:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Now for something different.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Ok - starting with an easy one.

Will close the thread Sunday Mar 29th at 9 PM left coast time.

Remember only one post per member. Have fun.

Jeff Speegle

Offline KevinK

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »
Here it goes. Looks like a 67 or earlier right front floor. The metal plug is upside down. The washer bag would date it to early 67 model or earlier. The floor looks pretty well rotted through at the front. Lots of misc. interior hardware laying around. Otherwise looks like it could be a nice white car.

Btw, this gives me a chance to kill so time while sitting in the Beijing China airport waiting for my flight home.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:46:14 AM »
Here it goes. Looks like a 67 or earlier right front floor. The metal plug is upside down. The washer bag would date it to early 67 model or earlier. The floor looks pretty well rotted through at the front. Lots of misc. interior hardware laying around. Otherwise looks like it could be a nice white car.

Btw, this gives me a chance to kill so time while sitting in the Beijing China airport waiting for my flight home.
The metal plug is right side up. Meaning it is as originally installed from the factory. The washer bags changed from white to gold lettering in later 66 production . That one is white.Just some hints.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:51:21 AM »
Appears to be a 65 based on the passenger side air grate for the evaporator sitting towards the back of the pile of stuff on the left and the passenger side drain hose cover in the middle...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:09:44 AM »
There are 2 other clues I see that could possibly narrow the time period and assembly plant... assuming those bits are original to the car!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »
Remember one post :)

Doing a test helps us see how others look at the same thing but in different ways - based on allot of things.

Think what I'll do is open a discussion of the findings after the time period is past and the thread is locked. This way we can talk about what we saw and some exchange of knowledge can take place.   Also I can get a feel, after this first one, if we will continue to do these little exercises.

Promise I didn't plant any clues in the pictures. Just as I found them in yards and peoples garages.
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »
What bothers me and sticks out is the rather large hole in the rocker/door sill area.  I don't remember anything like that on my 66, nor can I figure out what it would be there for.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »
What bothers me and sticks out is the rather large hole in the rocker/door sill area.  I don't remember anything like that on my 66, nor can I figure out what it would be there for.

It's just a drain hole.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
Ok I'll play !!   (But going to make Jeff look for my reply / so people don't build off my thoughts)   LOL

I'm going to guess this is a early 1965 Mustang and that it is probably a fastback.   (based on the sail panel light harness) I also feel it is a SW DSO 71/72 by the condition of the rockers/paint on back of floors BUT that the car was an AC car (with the rust from drain back up in the PS foot well).  My guess is it came off the road due to left front damage and was to be repaired but didn't get done.  (from the keeping of inner frame threaded bars in the masking tape)  Mark

P.S.  Owner was a roofer (roofing nails in tin that was dumped out with the fasteners/ door handle and rubber plug parts)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Sorry,

Was just having a little  fun, maybe make someone laugh.  Wont happen again ;D 

Dan

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
If this is a 65-66 I'm out of my element but I am looking forward to finding out what the large white piece of wood looking thing is ?  Also the way the purple/blue wire is staged has a story to tell.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »
Ok I am not going to be near a computer till after Sunday. So here goes I think it is a Wimbledon white 66 fastback. Going by only on the fast back interior part on the floor. I see the carpet plates that were used only on pre 68s. The washer bag looks like a flip top used in 66. There are some long trim screws like used to hold down a console. 5 seat plug grommets and 2 seat anchor nuts. The blue with red stripe wire with some gaffers tape often goes to the shifter indicator light so this car may have had a automatic transmission.  I think the large head screws used in San Jose cars? Jeff also hangs out in CA. salvage yards. I am not sure of the  plastic cover, may be a fuse box cover don't know the 65-66 to well. Don't know what that is under the washer bag. There was usually only one carpet screw near the rocker but this one has two holes. I am not sure what the round grill is for but I' guess it is for a under dash AC unit. I do not recognize anyone in the picture maybe just some California hippies? As far as the duct tape I will say Ace Hardware.

This was hard but fun and I hope you will do it again. It is a good opportunity to learn about some other years. Now I have to wait for the answers.
Marty

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
I have been a member for only a short time, however I always look forward to any pictures that Jeff posts as they always attempt to capture many details. With that said, I am making the assumption the above picture was not cropped and was taken to capture a detail or details within the view presented. With this in mind, I look beyond the debris on the floor and see the white overspray with some dark under color - possibly the subject of Jeff's attention - slop gray possibly. Then I notice the "washer" lying haphazzardly in the recess of the rocker...Jeff has a story about that...for this I am sure. I then see the rub mark on the rocker from the mid-year sill plate forming issue documented in some TSB - hah that's it. Of course the two home-made trim/door panel removal tools couldn't be the main subject...but then the obvious jumps out at me....considering the area of the US that Jeff resides, he has never seen a floor pan with rust, so that must be the focus of the picture....I can see him pondering where on the production line was that orange/brown stuff applied and how did they get the pattern to be so random....

+1
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
As  the moderator of this test I guess I can post a second time :) 

Just for back ground - I've collected pictures in wrecking yards of at least ten different states and three different countries. I suggest that my back ground and location might be a help or clue do not miss that the only "facts" are those that you see in the picture provided.

I do understand that there might be a fairly large percentage of the viewers that have never stepped foot in a yard or dealt with parts cars on a regular basis. Hope this exercises provides some of you the with a glimpse into the challenges that sort sort of opportunity provides, minus the wasps, heat, snakes, bees, mud, berry bushes, poison ivy, yard dogs, gruff (to put it nicely) owners,........
Jeff Speegle