Author Topic: Remote mirror mounting  (Read 899 times)

Offline preaction

Remote mirror mounting
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:09 AM »
I came across the need to replace the threaded nuts in the door shell that a remote mirror mounts to. My mirror is the original and currently there is nothing but two holes in the door shell. My question is with the AMK replacement hardware it comes with two tube nuts and two screws do the tube nuts install from the top or from underneath the door shell, I not sure if they are to be a press fit as the nuts fit tightly in the shell holes but are not a press fit.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Remote mirror mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:08:29 AM »
I came across the need to replace the threaded nuts in the door shell that a remote mirror mounts to. My mirror is the original and currently there is nothing but two holes in the door shell. My question is with the AMK replacement hardware it comes with two tube nuts and two screws do the tube nuts install from the top or from underneath the door shell, I not sure if they are to be a press fit as the nuts fit tightly in the shell holes but are not a press fit.
The rev nuts install from the top side. The nuts are installed with a tool that pulls the center up by the threaded bottom while the top flange is held in place. The center un threaded sides collapse and expand over the bottom side of the sheet metal leaving the threaded bottom intact. The sheet metal is sandwiched between the top flange of the nut and the crushed /expanded section with the thread portion attached and ready to have a bolt threaded into it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:37 AM »
Thanks Bob, I had a feeling that was it as you know safer to ask than be sorry.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »
Often when the rev nuts come out or are removed it leaves the holes too large to install a new rev nut. The are two choices you can weld up the hole and redrill it. or you can buy a repair anchor that is plastic. The latter is a better answer unless you were going to repaint any way.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:53:59 AM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gt390fb

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:24:27 AM »
Sounds like the holes are fine.  Riv nuts are easy to install with the puller,  but they can be tricky.  If you don't pull them tight enough, they can spin in the hole,  and if you pull them too tight, you can pull the threads out.   I would suggest a couple practice ones on a scrap first before installing them if you decide to use them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:32:24 AM by 67gt390fb »
7R02S153xxx      12/15/66

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Search is your friend   ::)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6563.msg37201#msg37201
Its interesting you show this link Jeff as I did a search for remote rear mirror and only 5 topics came up not including yours. I cant tell how the original nuts were removed as the door surface doesn't show signs of grinding and the holes are in perfect condition. Now its been about 4 months since disassembly and replating so remembering how to put this together correctly is the challenge. I do remember red, green, and yellow for the colors.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:48:46 PM »
Its interesting you show this link Jeff as I did a search for remote rear mirror and only 5 topics came up not including yours. ...

Believe I used "mirror nut"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:02:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)