1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

65 Radio Dial Clean-Up

(1/2) > >>

markb0729:
Has anybody cleaned up or restored the dial on a 65 AM radio (5TMZ)?  The dial on my radio is in great shape but the number call outs have yellowed a bit.  I was wondering if bleach would do the trick but I have my doubts. 

petersixtfive:
Would recommend leaving it alone
The white wasn't a bright white to start with, more off white to cream
You risk altering the black finish or partially removing the some of the black if not careful
Check the globe
Polish the clear lens with car polish and put it back together
Good luck

markb0729:
As-is the dial is in good shape.  As you said the dial is more of a cream color.  I thought the numbers on the dial were turning off-white from age.  I have a 66 AM radio where the numbers on the dial are nice and white.  Interesting.

J_Speegle:
Ya I think I wouldn't touch them either unless you have a couple of nice ones to practice/test with

It wuld be a good time to polish the clear plastic dial cover though

markb0729:
Done and done.  I won't mess with the dial.  I don't have any spare dials, so if I mess this one up, I'm out of luck.  The radio was already refurbished.   Servicing of the radio included a thorough cleaning and lubrication of moving parts, new capacitors, a new output transistor sil-pad insulator, light was replaced with the chrome and lens polished.  I took the radio apart to check the work that was done and all looks good.  I'll put it back together and install.  Got a good complete refurbished radio for $250.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version