Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Strip caulk (butyl) vs Rope caulk

(1/7) > >>

CharlesTurner:
It seems that there are 2 different strip caulk types that are made

The current 3M 8578 is most definitely a butyl-based material as it will stick/bond if strips are touched together.  It never dries out and is very "tacky"/"sticky" to work with.

The material that AMK sells in gray color is not butyl based, which after reading up on, is commonly referred to as "rope caulk".  It does not stick together with other strips, but can be kneaded together if desired.

What I have seen originally on at least 1st generation cars appears to have the consistency of rope sealer, not butyl. 

Throwing this out there for discussion.

Attaching a pic of some old-school 3M strip-calk[sic] - (3M name brand).  It appears this stuff is more like rope caulk.  It has hardened a bit over time, but becomes pliable with a heat gun.  I usually use a deep socket and roll it out flat to use.

KevinK:
I have used both.  The rope caulk by 3m seems to resemble what was used at the factory for the front fenders and gas tank. I'm not sure about the color, black verses gray.

The butyl sealer is typically used on window installations such as the quarter windows on a Fox body. If it was used in place of the rope caulk in the first gen. Cars, it would be very difficult to remove those parts for service.  Basically, you need to cut the material to remove the part. Only comes in black I believe.

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: KevinK on March 21, 2017, 04:14:38 PM ---I have used both.  The rope caulk by 3m seems to resemble what was used at the factory for the front fenders and gas tank. I'm not sure about the color, black verses gray.

--- End quote ---

You're saying the 3M 8578 is rope caulk?  The current version, probably been in use for 10 or more years is butyl-based for sure.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: KevinK on March 21, 2017, 04:14:38 PM ---I have used both.  The rope caulk by 3m seems to resemble what was used at the factory for the front fenders and gas tank. I'm not sure about the color, black verses gray.

--- End quote ---

Ford service the stuff with a light gray in the 70-80's and since NOS was all the rage in early restoring of our cars many just accepted the color and assumed if it was NOS then it was correct and used it.  And things IMHO that lead some astray is that once exposed to the elements and sun the original product will turn a much lighter color as it chalks, dries out and becomes brittle.

preaction:
Was the assembly line product used black in color ? I have seen this type (black) on restored cars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version