Author Topic: 65-66 original u-joints - any pictures?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

65-66 original u-joints - any pictures?
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »
I'm trying to get more info on 65-66 u-joints, particularly the inside lock ring type.  Does anyone have any pictures of originals?  I've been looking around and can't find any pictures, only of the outside lock ring variety.

Were assembly line joints not drilled for a grease fitting, or did some come with a plug (like some of the service replacements)? 
Did assembly line rear joints have a strap welded across the two 1-1/8" caps?  It makes sense that they would...if so, is that something that is looked for in concourse judging? 
Are plugged joints allowed in concourse judging?  I saw in the MCA rule book it said no grease fittings.

thanks,
Garrett

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65-66 original u-joints - any pictures?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:56:37 PM »
I'm trying to get more info on 65-66 u-joints, particularly the inside lock ring type.  Does anyone have any pictures of originals?  I've been looking around and can't find any pictures, only of the outside lock ring variety.

Were assembly line joints not drilled for a grease fitting, or did some come with a plug (like some of the service replacements)? 
Did assembly line rear joints have a strap welded across the two 1-1/8" caps?  It makes sense that they would...if so, is that something that is looked for in concourse judging? 
Are plugged joints allowed in concourse judging?  I saw in the MCA rule book it said no grease fittings.

thanks,
Garrett
I have a assembly line 65 V8 driveshaft that still has the tack welded strap to hold the caps on prior to installing on rear end yoke on the assemblyline . I keep it for reference. The U joint has a "pressed " in zert and not a hex threaded in zert. This is contrary to what I had previously thought. I have been told by one of my peers that this was earlier 65 before Ford going to a pre lubed type with no zert .   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:59:41 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
Thanks Bob, is that an inside or outside lock ring arrangement?  Can you see any markings in the center of the joint?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
I've nave never found any originals on San Jose built cars (nor other plants) nor seen any.  Just my experience over the years.
Unfortunately this is an often replaced part so few originals survived through the years.

Here are two examples from early San Jose

5R07A129xx U joint - Yes a snail had taken up residence in this one.

5R07C118xx U joint

Not sure what the part number, year or application this one was for but it shows a number of markings that would help identify - at least from this supplier

As a side note I do have what is believed to be a very early Dearborn car (prior to when the other two plants were operating)  with a factory U joint with a zert but only that one
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:24:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff - I don't suppose there's a way to get a shaft diameter measurement off that joint, is there?

Is there a consensus on inside vs. outside lock ring for '65?  Is there a changeover date or were they used simultaneously?  Is it possible that Ford took on Borg Warner as an additional u-joint/slipyoke (or complete driveshaft assy?) supplier because they couldn't keep up with production? 

thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff - I don't suppose there's a way to get a shaft diameter measurement off that joint, is there?

Sorry have no idea where those drivelines are. Often I would just find them in yards, take a picture for reference and evidence then move on

Is there a consensus on inside vs. outside lock ring for '65?  Is there a changeover date or were they used simultaneously?  Is it possible that Ford took on Borg Warner as an additional u-joint/slipyoke (or complete driveshaft assy?) supplier because they couldn't keep up with production? 

Not aware of Ford having problems keeping up with the needs of the line any more that they are today. At the same time Ford normally would not rely on a single provider for anything. And if made by Ford then multiple plants. Henry learned early in his career what a single source could do to production.

Can I assume that your asking about A and C code drivelines?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »
Well, A, C, and K...from what i've read in other posts some people swear the hipo's came with inside lock rings and some swear they were all outside lock rings...

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »
My January '65 Dearborn 6 cyl/auto.  Factory original U Joints rebuilt by Dead Nuts On--Maybe this will help for what you're looking for.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:45:28 PM »
The first 2 pictures are from my 10K mile June 65 Dearborn convertible. The second 2 are from my Aug 64 4K mile Dearborn coupe . Both A codes.
  Not the slotted hex head plug in the Aug 64 joint. I believe that the June 65 joints have a round slotted plug, but I'll have to check.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:47:52 PM by mgmradio »
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 01:24:58 AM »
Here is picture of U joint caps tack welded with strap. It makes sense why they would be done this way.  I have seen some caps with pieces of slag on them and could not figure out what it was from. When I was told about this as a early factory installation I started to look more closely at early drive shafts and then found this driveshaft which I keep as a curiosity /reference piece. I was mistaken about the pressed in zerts as these are screw in. I don't have much back ground on this type of U joint and am just retelling what I was told by a peer I respect (John Brown) who was also present when I found this driveshaft. Here it is . At the very least it begs the question of if this was a short lived assemblyline occurrence.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
So the new rules under the drive shaft state no zerk fittings or plugs. So are there originals that have these?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
So the new rules under the drive shaft state no zerk fittings or plugs. So are there originals that have these?

The MCA rules have said for a long time no zerk fittings on u-joints.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Here is picture of U joint caps tack welded with strap. It makes sense why they would be done this way.  I have seen some caps with pieces of slag on them and could not figure out what it was from. When I was told about this as a early factory installation I started to look more closely at early drive shafts and then found this driveshaft which I keep as a curiosity /reference piece. I was mistaken about the pressed in zerts as these are screw in. I don't have much back ground on this type of U joint and am just retelling what I was told by a peer I respect (John Brown) who was also present when I found this driveshaft. Here it is . At the very least it begs the question of if this was a short lived assemblyline occurrence.

Bob, I have seen this before on service replacement driveshafts also.  It makes sense for the caps to be attached so they won't fall off.  Would be nice to have more examples to determine if it was something unique to one plant, time period or other.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

Sorry I meant to say they don't allow plugs now either
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
Sorry I meant to say they don't allow plugs now either

I searched for a while trying to order a PAIR for my 67 without zerks...oh what fun it is. Yellow Boots, Blue Boots, Red Boots, Store Brand or Spicer...couldn't locate a PAIR from any single source to "match". ( I get the rule but...)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments