Author Topic: 1969 Tilt Away Steering  (Read 1244 times)

Offline 6S1284

1969 Tilt Away Steering
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
Same Newbie - Different car.  1969 Shelby GT350

This is the vacuum can for my tilt away steering.  I did some research on here and it's quite a lively topic with the cougar guys on Classic Cougar Forum.  What I'm reading is 1969 was a single nipple can under the battery tray yet this is what came off of my car.  There is only one vacuum lint that I can tell that was running to it.

Any info is once again appreciated

Dave

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 1969 Tilt Away Steering
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
There are two cans. Both on the passenger side, one under the battery tray and one up by the firewall.

Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

This is the vacuum can for my tilt away steering.  I did some research on here and it's quite a lively topic with the cougar guys on Classic Cougar Forum.  What I'm reading is 1969 was a single nipple can under the battery tray yet this is what came off of my car.  There is only one vacuum lint that I can tell that was running to it.

Any info is once again appreciated

Dave
That is a A/C vacuum reservoir  but you can make it work . The correct assemblyline  tilt can for 69 has just the one large nipple. For several decades the A/C one was the only alternative if it needed replacement. It wasn't until the last 5 or 6 years that a nice correct looking repro became available.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

Not sure how that attached to the front inner fender panel under the battery. Holes on that can are attached and built in straight across the center of the can as seen in this picture.

Added a few pictures to this earlier thread to illustrate some details and what we choose at that time of that restoration

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11.new#new

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)