Author Topic: Inspection cover clutch+automatic  (Read 1559 times)

Offline preaction

Inspection cover clutch+automatic
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
Was there a gasket used on a manual or an automatic transmission inspection cover ? My question is centered on 67 but were all years with or with out them?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Inspection cover clutch+automatic
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »
Was there a gasket used on a manual or an automatic transmission inspection cover ? My question is centered on 67 but were all years with or with out them?
Manual FE inspection cover uses a thin cork gasket originally. A automatic inspection cover gasket I am not so sure. I haven't ever seen one or even remnants of any previous gasket.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
For automatics you can often find a black foam gasket on the surface around the crank opening on the block side. Don't think its a seal but possibly an anti rattle feature. In any case they are often gone by now and leave only a small thin adhesive strip around the opening that comes off quickly when cleaning.  Not sure what year these gaskets were installed. Maybe pictures will tell a story.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
For automatics you can often find a black foam gasket on the surface around the crank opening on the block side. Don't think its a seal but possibly an anti rattle feature. In any case they are often gone by now and leave only a small thin adhesive strip around the opening that comes off quickly when cleaning.  Not sure what year these gaskets were installed. Maybe pictures will tell a story.
I think the foam around the crank was more for the block plate potential rattle then the inspection cover . The thing that comes to mind is a straight black foam strip that is on FE manuals too. I think both may have got the black foam strip on the lower edge of the FE block plate. Manual for sure. That acts as a anti rattle strip for the cover.   I still see that strip included occasionally in some complete gasket kits I come across . I have one floating around my shop someplace. That would be easy to duplicate. The cork gasket of the manual inspection cover however hasn't been included in the after market gasket kits for several decades form what I have seen.  Disregarding the straight black strip which may have been on both auto and manual FE's  I have not seen a gasket that went around the perimeter edge of the flat automatic inspection plate in the same way the thin cork gasket went around the manual inspection cover . Maybe the gasket for the auto inspection plate exists but I have yet to come across evidence to confirm it. Maybe someone else has.I have not paid that much attention to smallblock automatic inspection covers to comment on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:10:48 PM »
Bob, Jeff , thanks for the replys I have seen the black foam around the back of the crank and  plate a few times also. It just seemed that the manual inspection cover was in need of a gasket if for nothing else but to keep water out of the bellhousing.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
I think the foam around the crank was more for the block plate potential rattle then the inspection cover . ...........

Agreed but figured some one might consider it a "seal" or "gasket" so figured out it should at least be brought up in the discussion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
Bob, Jeff , thanks for the replys I have seen the black foam around the back of the crank and  plate a few times also. It just seemed that the manual inspection cover was in need of a gasket if for nothing else but to keep water out of the bellhousing.
You never see the gaskets used unless on one that hasn't been apart and of course correctly done concours cars. I never used one on any of my engines until I started to restore them back to assemblyline for the purpose of concours venues. Point being it is not critical for driving.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 01:45:24 PM »
Manual FE inspection cover uses a thin cork gasket originally. A automatic inspection cover gasket I am not so sure. I haven't ever seen one or even remnants of any previous gasket.

Any more information about the thickness and color of this manual inspection cover gasket?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 01:47:28 PM by ninedrvr »
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 02:32:57 PM »
Any more information about the thickness and color of this manual inspection cover gasket?
Thickness is the same as cork BB or SB oil pan gasket . Color is cork . You typically have to make it up yourself. It does not come in the rebuild kits anymore.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 02:36:34 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 03:32:25 PM »
Ok. Then I'm thinking 1/8" cork. Thanks Bob.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 04:54:33 PM »
What or where is this inspection cover that's being discussed? Is it part 7986 at the bottom front of the transmission in the excerpt from the assembly manual?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 05:01:19 PM »
Its the bottom cover of a top loader 4 speed bellhousing

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »
Its the bottom cover of a top loader 4 speed bellhousing
Big block 4 speed Manual only . SB 4 speed Manual doesn't have a inspection cover.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 03:27:13 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 01:48:46 PM »
BB manual 3-speeds as well. Not very many of us.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 03:25:21 PM »
BB manual 3-speeds as well. Not very many of us.
I did not consider the unicorns out there and amended my post. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.