1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Inspection cover clutch+automatic

(1/3) > >>

preaction:
Was there a gasket used on a manual or an automatic transmission inspection cover ? My question is centered on 67 but were all years with or with out them?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: preaction on March 22, 2017, 09:52:49 PM ---Was there a gasket used on a manual or an automatic transmission inspection cover ? My question is centered on 67 but were all years with or with out them?

--- End quote ---
Manual FE inspection cover uses a thin cork gasket originally. A automatic inspection cover gasket I am not so sure. I haven't ever seen one or even remnants of any previous gasket.

J_Speegle:
For automatics you can often find a black foam gasket on the surface around the crank opening on the block side. Don't think its a seal but possibly an anti rattle feature. In any case they are often gone by now and leave only a small thin adhesive strip around the opening that comes off quickly when cleaning.  Not sure what year these gaskets were installed. Maybe pictures will tell a story.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on March 23, 2017, 03:32:56 PM ---For automatics you can often find a black foam gasket on the surface around the crank opening on the block side. Don't think its a seal but possibly an anti rattle feature. In any case they are often gone by now and leave only a small thin adhesive strip around the opening that comes off quickly when cleaning.  Not sure what year these gaskets were installed. Maybe pictures will tell a story.

--- End quote ---
I think the foam around the crank was more for the block plate potential rattle then the inspection cover . The thing that comes to mind is a straight black foam strip that is on FE manuals too. I think both may have got the black foam strip on the lower edge of the FE block plate. Manual for sure. That acts as a anti rattle strip for the cover.   I still see that strip included occasionally in some complete gasket kits I come across . I have one floating around my shop someplace. That would be easy to duplicate. The cork gasket of the manual inspection cover however hasn't been included in the after market gasket kits for several decades form what I have seen.  Disregarding the straight black strip which may have been on both auto and manual FE's  I have not seen a gasket that went around the perimeter edge of the flat automatic inspection plate in the same way the thin cork gasket went around the manual inspection cover . Maybe the gasket for the auto inspection plate exists but I have yet to come across evidence to confirm it. Maybe someone else has.I have not paid that much attention to smallblock automatic inspection covers to comment on.

preaction:
Bob, Jeff , thanks for the replys I have seen the black foam around the back of the crank and  plate a few times also. It just seemed that the manual inspection cover was in need of a gasket if for nothing else but to keep water out of the bellhousing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version