1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

1970, 5 lug Brake drum original thickness and minumum thickness

(1/1)

HDAshmore:
Good evening,

I received these drums in another lot of parts I bought and I was wondering if I there were worth cleaning and turning to use.  Can anyone tell me the factory thickness of 1970, 5 lug brake drums.  Two are 11 5/8"  and the other two are 12.5" drums.  What is factory thickness and what can they be safely turned to before the are unserviceable. Does anyone have PDFs of the service book pages showing the information?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

v/r
Dan

jwc66k:
Take them to a brake shop and let them tell you. Explain the use, a 70 Mustang. That gets the shop people on your side. If they do the measurement right, it is made from the inside surface to the opposite side.
Jim

HDAshmore:
JWC66k

Thanks but looking to do myself at post auto shop if I can figure out the max and min.  I can do the measuring.  Thanks for the tip of measuring inside to inside. 

Still looking for specs if anyone has them handy. 

v/r
Dan

67gt390fb:
1970 shop manual lists inside diameter at 10.00 inches and max limit diameter at 10.060 inches for Mustang and Cougar.  11 inch drums 11.090 max

HDAshmore:
Thank you for the great info.

v/r
Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version