Author Topic: Repro gas tank and markings?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Morsel

Repro gas tank and markings?
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Hey all,

San Jose, February 10th 1966, GT, K-Code Fastback is the car.

I need to replace my gas tank and wondering what you guys think. First, should it have a drain plug? If so, from what I've read in previous post it seems as though the ones Brant sells is probably the best repro with drain plug (Spectra). Also wondering about any markings that I maybe should try to reproduce, or is it needed? From pictures I've seen of NOS ones they had this stenciled part number on them (see attached image). Did any of you reproduce those stenciled on the repros you've done or is that incorrect on an original factory one? Just want to do it once and do it correctly ;)

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Repro gas tank and markings?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
that tank is an excellent choice. you do need the drain plug. that stencil was on the flat sheets of steel the tanks were cut from. not all tanks would receive it. i would not concern myself with that particular item. markings are not necessary for concours judging.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
Most of the Ford service replacement gas tanks do not have drain plugs.  Not sure why they sell for so much when this is a detail totally wrong.

The C5ZZ stencils would not apply at all to a factory installed gas tank.  Any stencil or mark on original gas tanks would have been the USS Steel type.  Original gas tanks were stamped (into the metal) with a date code, usually on the front lip/edge.  The ones I have found were stamped from the bottom, so cannot be seen once installed.

The Spectra replacement tank is about the best that can be bought as a replacement.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
OK, great info and this makes it easy ;) Now comes the next part, what's everyone using for strip caulk? I read the normal 3M black was incorrect for the gas tank and it was a grey? If so, what are people using?

Thanks as always,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »
Strip caulk was black.  Discussions recently around the correctness of butyl-based caulking instead of a putty-based caulking.  Most folks or even judges would probably not fuss over the regular 3M strip caulk, but in my opinion, it's just not a very good choice at replicating what was original.  Guess I'm too fussy  :-\

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »
Strip caulk was black.

+1   Plenty of recent information about the product in a recent thread.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
Yeah, I read through some of the discussion about the strip caulk, but really didn't see anyone come to a conclusion on what they thought was the best product, obviously we know about the 3M stuff and how they seemed to have changed to formula so it's more sticky and goopy now and not as good, but I didn't see anyone mention one that they thought was better... Ideas???? Eastwood's?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:20:18 PM »
I just ordered some Eastwood, will see what it's like when I get it.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »
I just ordered some Eastwood, will see what it's like when I get it.

Yeah, let me know what you think of it, I have some time before this project kicks off on my car...

Thanks,

Jason