Author Topic: Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans Bellhousing  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
Re: Paint Color ? 428 CJ Manual Trans Bellhousing
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
Here is a picture of what appears to be a script "13"
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
Here is a picture of what appears to be a script "13"

Yes - believe this was the number of the guy that put together than transmission. Its an unusual font that was used for just that mark
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 11:00:58 PM »
One more mark....on the bottom. Has a little flash glare.
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »
Hey Brian,
My 4 spd is bare cast with some yellow numbers stamped on the casing. The numbers in yellow appear to be a fancy script font style.  11k on the car and rustfree.

Hi Jr I am restoring a 1968 GT 390. Would love to get a few reference photos from you if that is possible. Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 07:14:17 PM »
Hi Jr I am restoring a 1968 GT 390. Would love to get a few reference photos from you if that is possible. Thanks

I've got a fair number of examples of original manual top loader transmissions. Shared the general/commonly found ones in the article in the Library on this site if you haven't noticed it.  Thread and the poster took a slight side trip to transmission markings from the original bell housing focus of the thread originally

BTW the poster that your asking hasn't been on the site since 2019  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 07:37:27 PM »
Ok thanks Jeff. Would really like to see a few photos as I am painting the bell housing now as I did not paint it on the motor, but will try to simulate. I was surprised at how little paint actually was applied to the bell housing. I tried searching the Library but did not find a good bell housing photo.
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2023, 11:10:38 PM »
Ok thanks Jeff. Would really like to see a few photos as I am painting the bell housing now as I did not paint it on the motor, but will try to simulate. I was surprised at how little paint actually was applied to the bell housing. I tried searching the Library but did not find a good bell housing photo.
Basically approximately 3 inch section around the perimeter where it bolts to the block. It was heavy engine paint color (because it was bolted to the block being painted) that feathered out to nothing. Of course that is a most common appearance because it could vary depending on painter and other circumstances at the time of painting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2023, 12:15:24 AM »
Thanks Bob I will follow that procedure and see how it turns out.
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2023, 04:09:52 PM »
Thanks Bob I will follow that procedure and see how it turns out.

Hi Bob. FYI I painted my bell housing and posted photos in my build thread, but also posting here since we are referencing the subject here as well and might be helpful for others asking the same question. Also curious about the blue & white paint daub marks on the bell housing posted on page one of this thread. I have not seen them before, so not sure if that is applicable to my car.

Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
OK thanks Jeff. Would really like to see a few photos as I am painting the bell housing now as I did not paint it on the motor, but will try to simulate. I was surprised at how little paint actually was applied to the bell housing. I tried searching the Library but did not find a good bell housing photo.

Don't have any original examples from a 428 CJ but from other Fe's they had allot of paint likely due to the high pressure and flow guns used at the time very unlike to days paint guns. So IMHO would go wide and will allot more "soft"/thin overspray on much of the bellhousing with shadows in those surfaces point downward and rearward, base don the ones I've seen. You will notice this on the upper left example below more than the lower right example

Of course ANY cleaning or scrubbing to other examples would remove this lighter spray reducing the painted area on those examples

Couple of examples and its pretty clear that these have not been repainted since the original crayon markings are still evident

Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 09:47:52 PM »
Jeff, are the time frame known for the 2 above pictured bell housings ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2023, 10:06:27 PM »
Hi Bob. FYI I painted my bell housing and posted photos in my build thread, but also posting here since we are referencing the subject here as well and might be helpful for others asking the same question. Also curious about the blue & white paint daub marks on the bell housing posted on page one of this thread. I have not seen them before, so not sure if that is applicable to my car.

Good job. It looks most typical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2023, 10:26:06 PM »
Thanks Bob & thanks for the advice
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2023, 10:28:02 PM »
Jeff, are the time frame known for the 2 above pictured bell housings ?

The left upper one was identified as coming from a  67. The other was not identified, may have been in an ad, so can't be certain though the OK marking looks very similar to the other. Will have to take the time to see if I have additional examples. These two were saved and located in the sub directory because of the paint marking rather than the overspray
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2023, 10:30:06 PM »
Don't have any original examples from a 428 CJ but from other Fe's they had allot of paint likely due to the high pressure and flow guns used at the time very unlike to days paint guns. So IMHO would go wide and will allot more "soft"/thin overspray on much of the bellhousing with shadows in those surfaces point downward and rearward, base don the ones I've seen. You will notice this on the upper left example below more than the lower right example

Of course ANY cleaning or scrubbing to other examples would remove this lighter spray reducing the painted area on those examples

Couple of examples and its pretty clear that these have not been repainted since the original crayon markings are still evident

Thanks Jeff. That is a lot of paint. It actually looks like they were trying to paint the entire bell housing deliberately as opposed to just some overspray from painting the motor. Should all bell housings from my year and application have "OK" Crayon marks, or was that standard procedure on all bell housings?

Mike