Author Topic: 66 Voltage Regulator Protective Screw Tips  (Read 1865 times)

Offline rrenz

66 Voltage Regulator Protective Screw Tips
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
Would the ground screw that attaches the headlight ground above the battery have one of those protective tips also like the voltage regulator hardware?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 Protective Screw Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
Nope, they were not used there.  I believe the screw is shorter than the ones used at the voltage regulator.  Check Jim's hardware spreadsheet in the library section or have a close look at the assembly manual and cross-reference the number(s) to the AMK guide to fasteners.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Would the ground screw that attaches the headlight ground above the battery have one of those protective tips also like the voltage regulator hardware?
Nope, they were not used there.  I believe the screw is shorter than the ones used at the voltage regulator.  Check Jim's hardware spreadsheet in the library section or have a close look at the assembly manual and cross-reference the number(s) to the AMK guide to fasteners.
The protective caps used on the voltage regulator screws of 65-66 Mustangs that protrude into the area between the grill and radiator support are part of the "gray area" of Mustangs. I have not found documentation showing their use, nor a valid part number. Many vendors sell them for about $1.50 a pair, and I strongly recommend getting a pair and putting them on the VR screw tips. If you have ever worked in the tight confines of the left hand grill and got multiple scratches on the back of your hand you will know why.
As to any other protective caps used on screw tips, I know of only one application on 65-66 Mustangs, the five used on Fastbacks on screw tips in the trunk above the trap door.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Jim, my thoughts on the caps are they were more of an aesthetic thing so the silver tips of the screws would not be seen through the grille opening.

The originals were black bakelite material, not soft rubber like the repro's.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Jim, my thoughts on the caps are they were more of an aesthetic thing so the silver tips of the screws would not be seen through the grille opening.

I had ordered a second set and was going to put one on that ground screw just to clean it up a bit. I was curious if they actually put a cover on that screw originally or not.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
That could very well be, although "red blood tipped exposed screws threads" are not aesthetic either.
I would still like to get some documentation on this. A TSB perhaps?
I had ordered a second set and was going to put one on that ground screw just to clean it up a bit. I was curious if they actually put a cover on that screw originally or not.
I took another look, you can't see that screw tip, by the battery, from the front. There is little to "adjust", "tighten", or otherwise access on that side, so no.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »
I've found them on cars built as early as April '64, so doubt there is a TSB. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
That could very well be, although "red blood tipped exposed screws threads" are not aesthetic either.I would still like to get some documentation on this. A TSB perhaps?.....

TSB would have only been created and distributed if there was a change of problem. Since they were used through a number of production years and on all cars no reason for any mention of them IMHO. If the material that they were made from changed during production at some point that would not be a reason for a Special Service Letter or a TSB article either.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:39:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline aaatp

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Would it be possible for someone to post a picture of what the original caps look like.
It would be much appreciated.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
+1 I've never seen an original one. If its even possible for bakelite to last that long being mounted to the front of a car..
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline chrisboss429

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
Here's one from 65 SJ GT Coupe 18S

Thank you for all you do guys, Huge fan! Chris Knowles
65 /B GT Coupe DSO 71 18S
89 lx hb 5.0 DSO 71 1/89

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »
And to illustrate where they were originally installed ;)

....... If its even possible for bakelite to last that long being mounted to the front of a car..

Will find one and cut it in half. Still think its just a high dense rubber given the mold release nipple/feature
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »
Dug some out last night. Can report the ones I have are dense pretty hard black rubber with the mold release detail at the tip. Each compresses with some effort without cracking
Jeff Speegle