Author Topic: Hood Latch Support Hardware  (Read 1224 times)

Offline rrenz

Hood Latch Support Hardware
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »
Ive recently replaced some hardware on the hood latch support due to some pitted bolt heads Per the AMK guide. Ive noticed allot of variations of this hardware on other cars. I believe my car originally had the washer style bolts on both the latch and support. AMK calls for the star washer bolts on all. with that being said Ive seen cars with both styles of hardware installed in varying locations. Some with all star washers or flat washers and some with both. Anyone have any advice? This is my current hardware situation
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood Latch Support Hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
Looking at my collection of 88 NJ pictures I don't have any real clear examples from the 170000-190000 period but all the rest I show flat washers being used at both the latch to latch support and latch support to radiator support. All the same for both applications

BTW you'll want to paint the rivets on the horns. Horns were painted assembled so those got painted with the rest of the body of the horn ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
Excellent. Thanks
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
If you look at the markings left by the washer where it was used, that would be the determining factor as to the type of bolt to use, disc left a ring of small teeth, the external tooth washer left a mark for each tooth, 12. You see the "rings" offset in you picture. It was not uncommon in 1966 to find both as the external tooth type was being phased out to be replaced by the dish washer. There is an earlier type external tooth washer, one with larger teeth but less per bolt, but I believe that was a 65 Metuchen use.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »
............. It was not uncommon in 1966 to find both as the external tooth type was being phased out to be replaced by the dish washer. .........
Jim

Are you referencing NJ or the other two plants. I expected to see that also but as of now it doesn't look like that though I'm sure a number of owners will check their nice unrestored examples if they are not underwater    ::)
Jeff Speegle

Online outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
image from a unrestored 66 NJ coupe vin is in the 190000 area.

and no Jeff its not under water.....  hehe

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Are you referencing NJ or the other two plants. I expected to see that also but as of now it doesn't look like that though - -
That statement was based on seminars I attended given by people "in the know" who shall remain anonymous (for the time being).
I'm sure a number of owners will check their nice unrestored examples if they are not underwater -
That would be the limited production Ford "Sea-Horse" version of the Mustang. (It was not well received by the public.)
and no Jeff its not under water..... 
Ah, you've see one.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
image from a unrestored 66 NJ coupe vin is in the 190000 area.

Thanks Phil matches all the ones I found  and from the period the OP was asking for

and no Jeff its not under water.....  hehe

Good - was concern after all the reports from the country. Had to cancel a trip last Thursday for mum since the people she was visiting had a river running under the house and a pretty waterfall now in the back yard  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Building 3

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »
Here is a 120000 Metuchen car. October 1965 build for reference, so earlier than your car.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was rather certain I still had all the original hardware. I was seeing allot of variations and think I have it all straightened out now.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary