Author Topic: Have the seats been removed from my 66 convertible?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

Have the seats been removed from my 66 convertible?
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
The front seat in my 66 convertible had to be removed to install the brake light switch.  The car dealer said he installed new pony seat covers since they came with the car when he acquired it.  The seat stud nuts has plastic wrap over them and all four we're torqued the same. Once they broke loose, I used the extension and my fingers to completely remove the nuts.  Under the seat there we're 4 undisturbed metal plates over the carpet which stuck to the original carpet, the car has 15.000 miles.

Question.  Is the plastic over the nuts factory installed or did the upholster use the plastic to hold the nuts in the socket when he reinstalled the seat?

I was shocked to say the least. As many of you know stripped studs and or nuts is likely when extreme care isn't used to reinstall the seats.

It's been a long time since I ran behind another craftsman and was impressed with his quality of work and attention to detail.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Have the seats been removed from my 66 convertible?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »
Question.  Is the plastic over the nuts factory installed or did the upholster use the plastic to hold the nuts in the socket when he reinstalled the seat?

That would be my guess though not really needed I can see someone thinking they need the security of this or using tape between the socket and nut
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »
I commonly use painter's tape between the nut and the socket when starting the nut on the seat stud/bolt.  Once started, I remove the socket and tape, and then continue tightening the nut.  You're working upside down, and if the nut falls out of the socket when trying to hit the stud with the nut to start it, it typically falls onto the top of the floor board rather than the access hole through the floor board. 

This is a trick I learned some years ago from a good mechanic.  I suspect many mechanics use this technique.  The advantage of painter's tape is that is isn't super sticky but is enough thickness to catch the nut in the socket and is easily removable when you pull the socket off of the started nut. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:47:24 AM »
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Question. Are June 66 cars built in San Jose known for missing body plugs?  There are a couple of plugs missing in a undisturbed original undercarriage and there is no witness of a plug.  I thought that there we're a lot of spot welds under the car but on closer inspection they are dried out drips, the kid in the pit must have been wearing that slop after his shift!

I could have installed the switch if the vent handle was removed but there are two big Phillip screws attaching it to the lower dash panel and since I can't use an hammer tool, I felt it was easier to pop out the seat.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:12:15 AM »
Question. Are June 66 cars built in San Jose known for missing body plugs? 

Must be a different car since you have already described evidence of someone playing with the other car and a reason those plugs would ahve been removed.

But no the cars are not typically missing the floor plugs. They crack and fall out or dry out and become hard as rocks to remove from my experiences 
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 05:49:19 AM »
I don't understand Jeff, what different car are you referring to? 

I have 2 65 fastbacks which I have posted on previously.

The 66 convertible is the subject of this thread.

It's highly probable that I screwed up, it happens all to often!  Please clarify.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
I don't understand Jeff, what different car are you referring to? 

Here is what I "know" based on what you have already provided

"The front seat in my 66 convertible had to be removed to install the brake light switch.  The car dealer said he installed new pony seat covers since they came with the car when he acquired it.  The seat stud nuts has plastic wrap over them and all four we're torqued the same."

So we suspect that someone has had those floor pan plugs off it you found plastic wrap at the nuts above where the rubber plugs are originally located

"Are June 66 cars built in San Jose known for missing body plugs?  There are a couple of plugs missing in a undisturbed original undercarriage and there is no witness of a plug."

You report that a few were missing and were guessing that it was not a result of the earlier access to the seat anchor nuts but instead a worker at the plant leaving them off.  You would not normally see any damage to the floor primer/paint as a result of the plastic plugs being inserted nor a shadow unless the floor was covered with road grime, oil, undercoating and the plugs recently removed. If the plugs had been out for a while the road grime could be fairly even over the surface and hide that fact that the plugs had been there originally depending on the time gap between one and the other events

Since I now understand its the same car I think its fairly easy to accept that the plugs were removed, some got broken or simply forgotten when they got done with the task
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
Okay thanks Jeff!

The seat covers look too good for 50 years old so the classic car dealer had them installed.

Some plugs we're missing from the factory since we don't believe the undercarriage has ever got wet so while your point is an excellent one with respect to grime accumulating after the plug fell out, it has grime to what one would expect to see on a car in 1967 after a year of use. I am never going to wash under there!

The factory left out a few plugs so we will leave it be in the sprit of keeping it original.

Thanks again!

Offline jstefanick

• Restoration Pics
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
In the interest of keeping your car mice free, I would suggest installing any missing plugs. I found out the hard way when I found out my 66 San Jose convert had missing plugs (due only to the previous owners not putting them back) and rather large mice nests in the torque boxes. I am not sure exactly how they got in there, but missing any body plugs leaves a wide entry for anything to get in, even if the car is garaged.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »
Good point! If a rat or mice showed up they are history, unless it's Willard!

Years ago my neighbor was a Arkansas farm boy who was a trapper.  We had gophers bad.  After I moved in we became friends and he taught me how to trap.  I disliked killing them but they undermine houses and break many an ankle from people stepping in their holes.

Rats and mice love car wiring because it's perfect to grind down their teeth. They have to keep their teeth ground down or the teeth will prevent them from eating.  They have to eat and like a warm place to sleep, as we do.  Again I don't like to kill them but they spread diseases that can kill my kids,  hunta virus and the bubonic plaque to name a few.

Seal off the house will help. But poison in a nice outside nest you made for them with food and water and no human scent on anything, rub you hands and arms in the dirt for 10 minutes and no perfumes before handling their nest materials or food.  Throw the nest material in a pile, do not make it appear intentional, their leader is no dummy. When they die bury their bodies around the perimeter of your home.  It seems to work the others know somehow, to stay away.