Author Topic: Metuchen part colors  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
Metuchen part colors
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
I have a march '69 build . Looking to paint suspension and steering parts....along with clutch equalizer bar and related mounting brackets. Also need paint info for steering gear box. I know most suspension is black but not sure on correct sheen. And not sure if strut rods, shock tower caps and hood hinges are slop gray or phosphate

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:59:01 AM by Raven R Code »
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Metuchen part colors
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
Lets see if we can help. Will at least get started

I have a march '69 build . Looking to paint suspension and steering parts...

Clutch equalizer bar
- Bare steel so like new metal look of the arms and tube with darker welds and bluing of the metal adjacent to the welds

Related mounting brackets. Frame mount is bare steel with the weld detail like described above

Paint info for steering gear box. - Box and parts not painted but bare metal of different shades and finishes. These are covered in a number of threads. Over the surface you would normally have some paint marks that can differ based on what type of box (PS or nop-PS for example) it is. And over the top of that it is possible that the top of the box was blacked out (paint running down the sides and such) with a large paint brush application but I don't have solid documentation that NJ did or didn't like the other two plants but it might be a good guess

I know most suspension is black but not sure on correct sheen.

Can't think of anything about the front suspension or rear other than the lower control/A arms being part dipped and the shocks being semi-gloss black, being painted.  Steering linkage, spindles, strut rods, sway bar, end links, brackets, disc brake mounts, nuts and bolts are all natural of different finishes, tones and looks. Some with machined surfaces on an otherwise heat treated cast finish. All or most are covered in prior threads a number of times.

And not sure if strut rods, shock tower caps and hood hinges are slop gray or phosphate

Hood hinges and front upper shock mounts (shock mounts are covered in the FAQ section- at the top of the face page of this section) are Phosphate and oil
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:50:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

That's enough to get started. Are the hood hinge springs black or phosphate as well?

Dave
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
That's enough to get started. Are the hood hinge springs black or phosphate as well?

Same as hinges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)