Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

2227161 Master Cylinder Variations

(1/8) > >>

67gtasanjose:
Having read through many articles and threads, I am still a little confused if there are any previous posts within this forum to ID the variations of this 67-70 master cylinders.

Please guide me if there are (move topic also if need be)

So, we should find these cylinders to have a stop bolt on the bottom, a bendix logo, a Julian date code, the casting number 2227161 in the bottom, the "bump" on the front side of the rear brake outlet port, different caps depending on the year and production month and I am sure other details I failed to mention.

QUESTIONS:
1.) What years used the hex bolt and when (time period approximately) did these hex bolts change over to the Allen bolt?
2.) Does anyone have pictures of original Hex & Allen Bolts?
3.) Where the fittings come out of the housing, are these originally machined surfaces or are some simply "cast" (porous) ?
4.) Bail wire, though painted as an assembly while mounted to the booster, what finish should be on the wire before it is painted?
5.) Numbers stamped into the sides of the cylinders, is there a "code" known on what they are?

Maybe more questions related to this topic will come out, but I felt like I needed to be "schooled" on spotting the "CORRECT" cylinders at a glance. (And likewise an incorrect one "at a glance")

Attached below are a couple pictures of the fitting side & bottom side of a NOS unit, but who knows how "correct" it really is  ::)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on April 22, 2017, 07:46:20 AM ---Having read through many articles and threads, I am still a little confused if there are any previous posts within this forum to ID the variations of this 67-70 master cylinders.

Please guide me if there are (move topic also if need be)

So, we should find these cylinders to have a stop bolt on the bottom, a bendix logo, a Julian date code, the casting number 2227161 in the bottom, the "bump" on the front side of the rear brake outlet port, different caps depending on the year and production month and I am sure other details I failed to mention.

QUESTIONS:
1.) What years used the hex bolt and when (time period approximately) did these hex bolts change over to the Allen bolt?
2.) Does anyone have pictures of original Hex & Allen Bolts?
3.) Where the fittings come out of the housing, are these originally machined surfaces or are some simply "cast" (porous) ?
4.) Bail wire, though painted as an assembly while mounted to the booster, what finish should be on the wire before it is painted?
5.) Numbers stamped into the sides of the cylinders, is there a "code" known on what they are?

Maybe more questions related to this topic will come out, but I felt like I needed to be "schooled" on spotting the "CORRECT" cylinders at a glance. (And likewise an incorrect one "at a glance")

Attached below are a couple pictures of the fitting side & bottom side of a NOS unit, but who knows how "correct" it really is  ::)

--- End quote ---
The hex bolt was used from 67-possibly to early 68 and the cone shaped allen stop bolt one after that is my current understanding from observations. The fitting surfaces are machined from what I have seen. They had rubber plugs installed in the fitting opening before painting each of a different size. The plugs were not the same size as the flat machined surface so after painting the removed plug would leave a black witness line one of about the size of a dime and the other a nickel . 

67gtasanjose:
Thanks for that information Bob.
Looking through another thread, I found this image of "variations" (Marcus posted it)

I would think there may be a general understood trend of "known original examples" where some of these subtle differences may possibly be better understood.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 22, 2017, 12:42:43 PM ---............The bail wire was added after painting evidence indicates to me.

--- End quote ---

As a note - Bob and I are discussing this point since it's different from prior statements and our different experiences and recall.

Will post just this one link to Jacks site with a reported 7k mile original master cylinder. Not much black remains on the main body but the cap and retaining wire still retain a fair amount of paint

http://www.deadnutson.com/page/page/2634063.htm

Richard will take a look to see what points I can help with. The bottom side of original master cylinders (especially while still in the car) isn't an easy and often taken picture :)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 22, 2017, 07:29:44 PM ---As a note - Bob and I are discussing this point since it's different from prior statements and our different experiences and recall.

Will post just this one link to Jacks site with a reported 7k mile original master cylinder. Not much black remains on the main body but the cap and retaining wire still retain a fair amount of paint

http://www.deadnutson.com/page/page/2634063.htm

--- End quote ---
I am still in agreement on the Bendix Booster/Master assembly. I am skeptical about the Midland Booster/Bendx Master assembly being exactly the same all of the time. I am continuing research and discussion with Jeff S on the subject. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version