1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

San Jose Feb 66 window guide door bolts?

(1/4) > >>

Morsel:
I'm wondering if anyone has any shots of or know what the window track/guide bolts and washers looks like on a February 66 San Jose car at the back of the door by the latch? Mine were the similar style as the picture attached of this apron bolts (not same markings), but don't know if they were the originals or not, they look like it, but I haven't found any pictures. Everything I'm seeing posted is the of the more commonly used ones like the ones available from AMK, see additional stock photo attached.

Thanks,

Jason

J_Speegle:
Here you go - that was an easy one :)

Top style with the star washer but with the anchor style head marking

BTW the star washer was the typical style for this application through the production year.  Would guess that many "restored" cars have the incorrect hardware since buying kits rather than cleaning and reusing originals became the low effort restoration practice for some  ::)

Morsel:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 24, 2017, 06:04:14 PM ---Here you go - that was an easy one :)

Top style with the star washer but with the anchor style head marking

BTW the star washer was the typical style for this application through the production year.  Would guess that many "restored" cars have the incorrect hardware since buying kits rather than cleaning and reusing originals became the low effort restoration practice for some  ::)

--- End quote ---

Awesome, thanks Jeff... exactly what I was looking for.

Just for curiosity sakes, was this a San Jose specific different application and the other plants used the other flat washer style? Or was this a time period change? Just curious why AMK doesn't do both and why they chose to do the other style...

Thanks,

Jason

Morsel:
Hey Jeff,

So I just received some more information on this question. According to the guy that has helped me with a lot on my car, there's more to this. I reached out to him to see if he had any of the bolts with the star washer and anchor head marking in his stash of parts and he told me yes he has it but why would I want to change mine since they were original to the car. He said he's seen several (66 only, San Jose cars only) that had both, the star washers on the driver side and the flat on the passenger side, which is exactly what mine had and the way it was. I just thought one side had been replaced at some point. I do have to say the markings in the paint and doors of each style washer would look to be original, I don't see any indication of the star patter indents on the door of the passenger side.

You ever heard of this one?

Thanks,

Jason

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Morsel on April 24, 2017, 06:12:57 PM ---Just for curiosity sakes, was this a San Jose specific different application and the other plants used the other flat washer style? Or was this a time period change?
--- End quote ---

Yes I was responding to the " more commonly used ones" comment in your first post. Yes the flat washers have been found mostly in earlier cars sometimes intermixed with the star style. But for your time period I didn't find the intermixing on my examples along with the unrestored Feb built car in the garage so I responded with what I could document and found

--- Quote from: Morsel on April 24, 2017, 06:12:57 PM ---Just curious why AMK doesn't do both and why they chose to do the other style...

--- End quote ---

Most find it easier to carry one piece for an application rather than multiples of different ones. Having multiples often means allot of phone calls and such as to "what is correct for my car..." questions that vendors dont want to spend all their time answering. Also sourcing has become a challenge for AMK. Bolts and hardware they were able to find years ago have dried up so they sub other similar, used some times or what will work in their place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version