1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 Tilt Away Column Discussion

(1/5) > >>

67gtasanjose:
Inside this 67 Tilt-Away is the remains of a white bushing that the column stops against when Tilted AWAY (see pic below)

Where can I get one of these, I assume it is nylon because of the color.

dieseldave:
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/15386-Steering-Column-Flange-Bumper-Tilt-/-Tilt-Away-Upper-Flange-Repro-1967-1969-Mercury-Cougar-/-1967-1969-Ford-Mustang.html?attribs=75
Is that it???  Dave

67gtasanjose:
Thanks! I have one coming.

67gtasanjose:
Another thing I used that may help others remove the tilt pins, I bought a used Snap On CJ134 GM/Chrysler/Ford Tilt Steering Column Pivot Pin Puller. This tool is not quite correct since we need a #6-32 threaded stud to fit into the early Ford pins (the tool is made with a #8-32 thread) The correction is easily remedied by simply running the correct thread die over the small stud (it worked perfectly then!)

67gtasanjose:
Moving on to the next need, has anyone dicovered a good substitute for the foam insulator used at the lower side of the column tube ? (See picture).

I have read in other threads that nothing was used here but clearly Ford had one planned to be used. Ford was a stickler about engine compartment fumes NOT getting into the interior so perhaps the material used degraded and fell out over early years is why we do not find signs of the insulators on original examples.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version