Author Topic: Install 428cj and C6 as a unit or separate?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline bjf1992

Install 428cj and C6 as a unit or separate?
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »
My Engine is almost ready to be re installed. Carb and manifolds and lift hooks are installed.

My transmission isn't ready yet. And won't be for a while.

The engine bay and CJ are done. I was wondering if there were any
major benefits of installing both as a complete unit.
I pulled them out as a unit and as I remember it was kind of a pain.
I also had two forklifts. One lifting the rear of car and one lifting engine.
I'll only have an engine hoist this time around.
I'd rather have the engine slitting in the car than on a stand if possible.
It's going to be a while before I get around to working on it again.
1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

Offline jwc66k

Re: Install 428cj and C6 as a unit or separate?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »
With a small crew, like one, putting the transmission in first then the engine is usually the easiest method. The engine installed without the transmission needs support at the rear, I've used straps or chain. Putting the transmission in after the engine without a lift can be a real pain. If space is not a problem, make a wooden engine frame, on wheels. Mine is the steel base from a old IBM computer rack.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:54:40 AM »
My Engine is almost ready to be re installed. Carb and manifolds and lift hooks are installed.

My transmission isn't ready yet. And won't be for a while.

The engine bay and CJ are done. I was wondering if there were any
major benefits of installing both as a complete unit.
I pulled them out as a unit and as I remember it was kind of a pain.
I also had two forklifts. One lifting the rear of car and one lifting engine.
I'll only have an engine hoist this time around.
I'd rather have the engine slitting in the car than on a stand if possible.
It's going to be a while before I get around to working on it again.
It sounds like you already made your mind up. You sound like you want to install the engine because the trans will not be done for a while. Maybe I am mistaken. You can do it both ways. It is much harder IMO to do the two separately. It will go in with out raising the car but you have to have the proper tools . It can be done with one but two is safer . I use a adjustable engine tilter that is bolted on to the intake carb mounting studs tight to the intake. It has a hex head screw drive that adjusts the angle the engine hangs at. The short answer is to lift up level to go over the radiator support ,roll the car forward to get the engine supported by the crane past the support enough to tilt the engine and trans down towards the tunnel . A series of rolling the car forward and leveling the tilt so as to install like a foot into a shoe.  You must have a crane with long enough arm and also corresponding long feet. Also feet must be able to fit between the two front tires. I don't move the crane but move the car under it. if you don't have the right tools this is ether harder, less safe or not possible. At least you have the information to make the decision that is right for you.  I an others have been doing this for decades. I only do it occasionally. Others on a weekly basis.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:57:50 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bjf1992

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to purchase one of of Kurt Stumpf's engine cradle. And "store" the engine that way. Once tranny is done I'll install as a pair.
1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

mac1971

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
I recently reinstalled my rebuilt 429cj and C-6 transmission in my car. I did it myself. I did not move the car, I moved the hoist, no big deal... I did not have a professional tilt mechanism on the end of the hoist, just a chain and hook on the end of the standard 2-ton engine hoist. For me the scariest part was lifting the assembly over the rad support. It maxed out my hoist height capability at the time. I had the car on a scissor type hoist, wheels off and lowered the car so that the brake rotors were a few inches off the ground. Once you get the assembly over the rad support and start lowering, it was just a matter of angling the transmission so that it would not hit the fire wall and she slid right in (well, not quite, but we got there...). Good planning, a good hoist, safety first, you are good to go.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
I recently reinstalled my rebuilt 429cj and C-6 transmission in my car. I did it myself. I did not move the car, I moved the hoist, no big deal... I did not have a professional tilt mechanism on the end of the hoist, just a chain and hook on the end of the standard 2-ton engine hoist. For me the scariest part was lifting the assembly over the rad support. It maxed out my hoist height capability at the time. I had the car on a scissor type hoist, wheels off and lowered the car so that the brake rotors were a few inches off the ground. Once you get the assembly over the rad support and start lowering, it was just a matter of angling the transmission so that it would not hit the fire wall and she slid right in (well, not quite, but we got there...). Good planning, a good hoist, safety first, you are good to go.

I would note there is a bit more room on a 71 than on a 70 & older version. Personally, I pretty much ALWAYS put engines in alone and on a small block, probably will also on my 67 when it is time. However...
I would tend to agree with others who do BIG BLOCK INSTALLS more regularly (than I do)...I would HAVE EXPERIENCED HELP on hand! The extra set of (experienced)eyes can be crucial to prevent or minimize damage or injury.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 12:27:00 AM »
Jack the ass end of the car up. Big help when getting the combo in.

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 02:40:45 AM »
We removed one as a unit once and it didn't go super smoothly. Passenger exhaust manifold got in the way as I remember. I would say put them in separately just my two cents though that was quite awhile ago we did that.