Author Topic: '66 Fastback rear cross rail  (Read 831 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 Fastback rear cross rail
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
I was inspecting an original rust free, California car for purchase.  I thought I saw holes(not rust)in what I would call the rear cross rail.  I assume they were produced that way?  I'm no longer at the car and didn't take any pictures.  I'm looking for pictures on the internet but haven't found any so far.  Any one know if that particular piece was manufactured with holes on each end, about where the exhaust runs under it?

Thanks...

(I believe I'm referring to the gas tank crossmember?)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:53:06 PM by socalgt »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '66 Fastback rear cross rail
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
The rear cross member between the rear valance and the gas tank has a number of predrilled holes maybe 3/8" in dia. Its attached to the taillight panel, rear quarter panels (well really the trunk drops) and the rear frame rails. Is this the panel your describing?

Will find and post a picture in a little while
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
I believe so, I'll look forward to the picture... the car appears to have all original sheet metal, so I figured those holes were original to that particular piece, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
From a first half built 66 San Jose car I visited this last week - Easiest to pull up at the moment. As you can see there are three holes. The smaller holes are for attaching the rear bumper guards. Larger hole allows the inserting of the J clip the passenger side upper mount will attach to

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
That's exactly what I needed to see.  I appreciate your response and posting the picture....not an easy area to get a picture of just searching the web.