Author Topic: 67 inner fender hole functions  (Read 3523 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 inner fender hole functions
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
Looking for some assistance in determining the function of several holes in the driver's side inner fender near the firewall, below the hood hinge.

Attached is a list of 7 holes in the area.  Here is what I think they are used for.  Please correct any errors, and if you can answer the questions.

And the old adage holds true - you can never take enough pictures of a car when it is being stripped down :(

1.   (confident) this is for a white plastic clip that is taped into and made part of the main wire harness.
2.   ??? this is pretty much covered by the w/s washer supply hose and main wire harness
3.   ??? this is just below the main wire harness.
4.   (confident) this is for a black plastic retainer that wraps around the w/s washer supply hose and main wire harness.
5.   (no doubt) this is for the bolt that holds the brake distribution block
6.   (no doubt) this is for the locating pin that is part of the brake distribution block bracket.
7.   (no doubt) this is for a clip as shown in the picture to retain the speedometer cable.

Thanks in advance, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 inner fender hole functions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Going through pictures (well San Jose to start with)  I found that #2 and #3 were not there on all cars

On some #3 was used for the white tubular wire loom retainer

With that said will go reflect and see what I've got for Dec 66
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Here is what I found in my pictures. Because this can be a tight spot and not an easy one to get photos of I also looked at it from the wheel well side

Arrows are color coded for comparison.

Wire loom retainer, retainer loop, and unused holes. Looked at the 140,000 (or close to it) through 160,000

Hope this helps

7R01C1396xx NOTE: Almost looks like the holes (or at least one) was punched out. Notice the possible "hanging chad" at 8 o'clock on the center top hole

7R01C1399xx NOTE: No noticeable center holes like all the other panels

7R01C1627xx Hard to tell of the wire loom is using the rearmost or lower center hole as an attachment point.

7R02C1639xx NOTE: wire retainer barb changed. Possibly a different sub contractor

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:24:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:07:15 AM »
The two close together holes (yellow arrows) ,on a disc brake car the upper hole is where the self tapping bolt that holds the distribution block is threaded into and the lower is for the locating tab of the distribution block.

Bob, I respectfully disagree with this statement. In regard to the O.P.'s interests and question, I believe otherwise about the two holes in question (two holes closer to the hood hinge mounting in this image)

The distribution block the O.P. Showed in his first post, though for a drum brake car, is in the same location as my Disc Brake example as well. My 11/2/66 built Disc Brake example also has the "extra holes", as shown in the image I copied and attached from Jeff's post (above). The pictures I took at dissassembly look to have been just about like this one (uncertain which hole received the harness locator at this time, but otherwise, same as pictured), with more than likely nothing inserted into these other holes in question. Close inspection of the hole with the "hanging chad" (Jeff's words), indicate nothing has ever been threaded into that hole. I do not believe these holes were ever used at this time period anyways, for the brake distribution valve. Now, we do know there was an Early/Late version of the brake lines so perhaps the later cars used these holes. Definitely room for discussion here on this topic since Jeff posted pictures of other San Jose examples without the holes.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:09:25 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »

7R02C1639xx NOTE: wire retainer barb changed. Possibly a different sub contractor

Jeff, the results of your research really does help.  The 7R02C1639xx shown above (and possibly 1627xx) is exactly where my 7R02C156xxx is at.   I restored my original harness, and it maintains its original twists and bends.  The harness clip fits naturally in the hole closest to the firewall.  I could pull and reach the two vertically mounted holes; the clip would fit in the lower but not the upper, but the harness felt more natural at the first location.   I suppose that since the hole only exposes the engine compartment to the inner fender behind the splash shield, there is no harm no foul.  I really appreciate the help!

John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
Bob, I respectfully disagree with this statement. In regard to the O.P.'s interests and question, I believe otherwise about the two holes in question (two holes closer to the hood hinge mounting in this image)

Please excuse the post then. I removed it to eliminate confusion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
................  I suppose that since the hole only exposes the engine compartment to the inner fender behind the splash shield, there is no harm no foul. 

Just as an aside those holes are visible in the front wheel well and are not behind the rear splash shield

In that picture the splash shield is in the far right edge of the picture covered with sound deadener
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Just as an aside those holes are visible in the front wheel well and are not behind the rear splash shield

In that picture the splash shield is in the far right edge of the picture covered with sound deadener

WOW!  :o :o :o

Most Engineers would have a problem with any water intrusion into the engine compartment!  ;D ;D ;D I imagine, since it is so well hidden, an "Engineer" might wish to put a ball of Strip Caulk into those holes, thus preventing an engine "Flooded" condition  ;D  ;)  :)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »
Ok ok I get it.   But I did not mention water, I had mud thrown by tires on my mind.   Notice the plugged hole about 5" directly above the two in question...   I do see the big picture now😉
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 08:32:07 PM »
Hey John, thanks for the first pic in your first post. I un-staked my valve from the bracket to zinc dichromate it and wanted a fuzzy warm feeling about the direction. It's probably the only thing on the car I didn't photograph before I took it apart.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion