Author Topic: source for 67 oval rubber plugs  (Read 8682 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: source for 67 oval rubber plugs
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
SJ car in the lower 180Ks; Ford delivery date of early March with 4 oval holes.
More interesting, I thought, was the stamping date (left side of radiator support near hood adjustment standoff) of 1 26 C2.
Many of the sheet metal parts on my chassis are very close to this date.

A picture of the radiator support before disassembly shows no plug or marks where one might have been. The front of this car is unmolested (I believe).

Note the red oxide under the hood adjustment support in this disassembly shot:
[click to go to Flicker. Click again to zoom]

FYI the hole that is slightly above the regulator is the one most typically plugged. It is reasonable to assume to keep water from getting on the regulator. The battery side that you show is less typically plugged.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 22mafeja

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2017, 03:40:34 AM »
Again a useful piece of info ; I thought that both upper holes were always plugged. That maybe explains why there only was one correct
plug with my "project in boxes" SJ early 67. Is by the way the horn wire routing and strap correct?

Ralf

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
Ralf - it's an inboard headlight Shelby. I would not use the front wiring harness as an example for other cars. I'm left scratching my head as to why the high beams are wired the way they are. Four intrusions into the harness when two would have sufficed. The Ford home office was not consulted.

Here is the regulator side. Yes, I have properly fixed the very apparent modification. It's hot down south.

[Add Flicker notes here]

Like Jeff says, you can't make out if the plugs were there or not. Only illustrating what I found on this mostly unmolested car.

Getting back to the when the change was made from round/oblong/square, it might be better to drill down on the stamp date of the radiator support. Different plants probably had different supply levels of this part. Without knowing their initial supply and how many cars were cranked out at any time you are solving for 'x' when the y' variable is also unknown.
Do we even know if only Cleveland made a radiator support (like mine?). If others did you now have another variable in the mix.

My back hurts so I'm on the couch reading through a bunch of posts. Just in case you wonder why is Bill going through old posts  dating back months and months and months.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Mine:

https://picload.org/view/drrdldci/meinhornbeifahrer.jpg.html

Still interested to get such a rubber plug.

Thx Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen