Author Topic: Continuing Restoration of my 67 GT S code fastback  (Read 999 times)

Offline jpwatkins9

Continuing Restoration of my 67 GT S code fastback
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
This has been going on for awhile as the car has been in storage for about 32 years off and on.  My wife and I returned to the US in 2012 after being out for 20 some years.  VIN is 7RO2S20xxx,according to the Ford report,  it was built in the San Jose plant on 04/26/1967.  Color was and still is  Raven black with black interior trim and bucket seats. Fold down rear seats, 4 speed manual and 3.25 9" rear end.  It is interesting that the report say it had 15' rims, but when we picked it up at Dutton Ford in Santa Ana Ca. in 1967, it had 14" Michelin tires and rims.  Has the tilt steering wheel and the report says 472,121 total Mustangs produced with 53,651 being fastbacks.  it had the Thermacter system on it, but that has been taken off and stored as has the original distributor and 4 Bbl. carburetor. I got tired of changing plugs every 8 to 10,000 miles and Texas doesn't require the additional SMOG gear.  As we have owned the car for 50 years, I know all the parts that have been changed.  So far it has been repainted (still Raven black), after being totally stripped to bare metal and re-primed.  3 small rust spots repaired (no bondo all welded), passenger side door repaired due to father in law's bad tractors driving skills in 1976.  Engine rebuilt (total mileage 122,000 miles), interior repainted and new headliner installed. Front end gone over with new bushings and struts etc. replaced and new shocks installed.   

I am currently working on the trunk to get it back to original, and have some work to do on the steering as it has some slop in it.  Have had the tilt mechanicals out and they are fine except for 50 year old grease (cleaned and re-greased with white Lithium).  No to see how to get at the universal that is under the Tilt mechanical stuff.  My goal is to be able to drive the car to car club events and enjoy it.  Will post some pictures as soon as I learn how to do that

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Continuing Restoration of my 67 GT S code fastback
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »
Since the report (not sure if you got a Ford 999 or Marti report ) included the comment about the 15" wheels you might want to check out earlier threads related to that option (Competition suspension) and see if there are additional notes or support for the rest of the option (adjustable shocks, different springs ....)

Very few cars were ordered with this unpopular option but there are a few around

As mentioned please start a new thread so subjects say neat and it makes searching for others easier for other members at a later date.

There are threads about how to post pictures and how to use your section of the gallery to store them so that we don't have broken links at a later date. Some are stickies in the General discussion section of the site ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:38:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
Welcome!

Great story and sounds like a great car. Looking forward to seeing some pictures!   8)
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jpwatkins9

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:03:07 AM »
Hi Jeff, still trying to get used to the format.  The report is from Ford, so must be a 999.  I don't think the Marti reports go back further than 1968.  At least that's what I've heard.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:11:42 AM »
Hi Jeff, still trying to get used to the format.  The report is from Ford, so must be a 999.  I don't think the Marti reports go back further than 1968.  At least that's what I've heard.
They go back to 1967.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:09:47 AM »

+1 they cover 1967 and are the same data files with Ford uses.   Don't know that I've ever seen a 999 report that gives production data - something new maybe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)