Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Good technique and substance for cleaning aluminum housings

(1/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 Hi all, I am prepping to rebuild my Carter two piece fuel pump and was wondering what technique/media is used for gentle cleaning of the aluminum parts? My housing has very mild corrosion and yet still retains a black looking ink stamp on it, (that I was hoping to retain). Any suggestions or cleaners that will do the job?? .

1966KGT:
well i've had excellent results with pine sol in a crock pot /baster oven, removes all grease and unfortunately ink, may try using a tooth brush with warm pine sol and avoid inked area, just my experience. submerge part.

Hipo giddyup:
Interesting, never would have guessed pine-sol. Thank you!

jwc66k:
For real tough stains (from a TV ad) like tar, try Goo-Off first.
Jim

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: 1966KGT on June 15, 2017, 10:00:28 PM ---well i've had excellent results with pine sol in a crock pot /baster oven, removes all grease and unfortunately ink, may try using a tooth brush with warm pine sol and avoid inked area, just my experience. submerge part.

--- End quote ---

Looks like Pine-sol used to be acidic but now it isn't?  How long ago has it been since you cleaned with the method above?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine-Sol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version