Author Topic: '69 Mach 1--Space-Saver Spare or Not?  (Read 9979 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 Mach 1--Space-Saver Spare or Not?
« on: August 05, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
I'm trying to determine if my '69 Mach originally came with a space-saver or a full-size spare.  The trunk floors had been replaced before I got the car, and the spare hold down brackets weren't reinstalled.  I know that the space saver hold down brackets are reproduced, but I'm not sure if the standard fullsize spare brackets are different--or if a full size spare was ever even available on a Mustang in '69.

Here's the details on the car, if it matters:
'69 Mach 1, built June 5th, 1969, in the Metuchen plant.  The car does NOT have a fold-down/Sport Deck rear seat.

Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: '69 Mach 1--Space-Saver Spare or Not?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
The 69 MACH1 had the full size chrome styled steel wheel on all the ones I have seen. The 70 MACH1 did have the space saver spare. someone else may confirm or deny this but I believe this was the case
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
The 69 MACH1 had the full size chrome styled steel wheel on all the ones I have seen. The 70 MACH1 did have the space saver spare. someone else may confirm or deny this but I believe this was the case
The main reason you see the space saver used is because a 15 inch wheel mounted with the F60 15 tire's used on the Boss cars and Shelby's would not fit in the trunk. They had to use the space saver. It would not be relavent and a extra cost for a 14 inch wheel car. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »
Is the hardware--specifically, the bracket that spot welds to the trunk floor, different for a non space-saver car?  Is it located differently?  And would anyone have pictures of a standard spare mounted in a '69 trunk?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »
Is the hardware--specifically, the bracket that spot welds to the trunk floor, different for a non space-saver car?  Is it located differently?

Never noticed a difference

And would anyone have pictures of a standard spare mounted in a '69 trunk?

From a reported original car 69 SJ car

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:39:21 AM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:21:04 PM »
I hate to bring this one back from the dead, but I recently recieved the reproduction spare tire brackets in the mail, and I'm still at a loss of where exactly they go.  One of my good friends has a '69 Mach 1 that came with a space saver setup, and his bracket for the j-hook looks nothing like the reproduction bracket I just bought.

Does anyone have pictures--or maybe (crossing fingers here) measurments of where the spare tire/j-bracket brace should spotweld to the trunk floor?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »
I hate to bring this one back from the dead, but I recently recieved the reproduction spare tire brackets in the mail, and I'm still at a loss of where exactly they go.  One of my good friends has a '69 Mach 1 that came with a space saver setup, and his bracket for the j-hook looks nothing like the reproduction bracket I just bought.

Does anyone have pictures--or maybe (crossing fingers here) measurments of where the spare tire/j-bracket brace should spotweld to the trunk floor?
The spare tire hold down would be the same in a space saver car or a non space car . Meaning all 69 Mustangs. The thing that "is" different on some later but not all space saver cars is the bottle bracket (early late thing) which on those space saver equipped cars that got the bracket- it is welded next to the existing tire hold down bracket in a notch that is pressed into the factory trunk floors. I don't think your friends 14 inch wheel Mach 1 is correct ether for the reasons posted previously. It seems like you are trying to make a case to justify using it in your car. What ever you decide the best of luck to you. Bob

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
Sorry if I gave the impression that I wanted to use the space saver setup, knowing that the car didn't come with it originally.  I'm more concerned with getting the trunk back to original specs, with all of the brackets and other hardware in the factory locations. 

Looking at the picture of the green car, the bracket I recieved is identical to the one holding the inflator canister in the picture.  However, what's that additional bracket to the left, the one that's bent to the contour of the trunk floor?  It looks like a bracket for an additional j-hook or something.  Again, not trying to be aggravating here, or trying to add options the car didn't have originally, just trying to make the car as correct as possible.

So, can I clarify one more time, and please correct me if I'm wrong: '69 Mustangs recieved THREE brackets from the factory.  Two brackets look like they're intended for j-hooks for a spare.  One holds a space saver canister and is installed flat on the trunk floor, the other is bent to mimic the trunk floor contour.   Additionally, there was a small L-shaped bracket welded to the bumper reinforcement, intended to protect the tailight panel from possible damage.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
The one to the left of the SS bracket in the picture is the regular 69 mustang "j" bolt hold down bracket that is on every 69 Mustang. Bob
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:43:53 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »
Thanks again, Bob.   Is the regular bracket available as a reproduction?  It almost looks like a 65-66 bracket just bent to a different contour.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »
We will have to rely on someone else for that answer. I think it is but not sure. Worse case  it can be cut out of numerious cars. Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
.........Looking at the picture of the green car, the bracket I recieved is identical to the one holding the inflator canister in the picture.  However, what's that additional bracket to the left, the one that's bent to the contour of the trunk floor?  It looks like a bracket for an additional j-hook or something.  ..........

The one attached to the edge is the attachment point for the regular spare tire (non space saver)

So, can I clarify one more time, and please correct me if I'm wrong: '69 Mustangs recieved THREE brackets from the factory.

No

Only Fastbacks which where originally ordered with (or previous owners altered) the space saver option after a certain point in time during the 69 production year and all 69 Boss 302's

Two brackets look like they're intended for j-hooks for a spare.  One holds a space saver canister and is installed flat on the trunk floor, the other is bent to mimic the trunk floor contour.   Additionally, there was a small L-shaped bracket welded to the bumper reinforcement, intended to protect the tailight panel from possible damage.

Like this 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)