Author Topic: Restoring/Rechroming '69 Mach 1 instrument bezels?  (Read 6661 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Restoring/Rechroming '69 Mach 1 instrument bezels?
« on: August 05, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
A few months ago, I located a source that restored '69 Mustang instrument bezels.  I seem to remember that the services offered seemed tailored towards '69 Mustang bezels; they had several before and after pictures on the website, and the services offered included rechroming the plastic housings and polishing the original woodgrain inserts.  Few of the companies I've found online that do rechroming mention dealing with the woodgrain inserts, but I remember that this company specifically mentioned polishing the inserts.  Now, of course, I can't find any mention of the company.  I know it's a long shot, but does this sound like a company anybody's dealt with?   And if not, does anyone have a good source for dash bezel restoration?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Restoring/Rechroming '69 Mach 1 instrument bezels?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »
The plastic chrome instrument panel housing is a separate part from the woodgrain insert as well as the clock panel housing and the woodgrain insert for that. The woodgrain is just a vinyl transfer covering over a metal panel. As for as polishing it, I would say you could clean it up yourself with mild cleaners by hand and it would come out as good as your going to get. I used a little WD 40 on mine and they cleaned up nice. The polishing the vendor may have been referring to is the plastic gauges that often are scratched and can be polished out. I used AUTO INSTRUMENTS on my gauge and plastic chrome work. They were not cheap but they did a nice job on the plating and silk screening of the gauges but did have some trouble with the clock and one of the gauges but they did make it right and acted like they cared unlike many out of town vendors once they get your money.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »
Make sure that whom ever you choose also paints the original areas also as part of the price. Some will return the panel only plated leaving you to do the rest
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
I know it's a long shot, but does this sound like a company anybody's dealt with?   And if not, does anyone have a good source for dash bezel restoration?

Ray Azcue did mine. fast67@sbcglobal.net  Turned out beautifully!

Bill

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »
I suggest you speak to Ray on the phone as I did the other day, the email address he gave me is different to the one above.
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
Does anyone have Ray's contact information?  I've Googled a ton of stuff trying to find his phone number, and I still haven't come up with anything.

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »
You can find all his details here on his web site;
Ray Azcue
QUALITY MUSTANGS
http://qualitymustangs.tripod.com/id42.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:56:06 PM by Aussiemach »
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
I called the number on the website, and got a message that it had been disconnected.

Edit:  I got through on his cell number.  Sounds like a really good guy!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:35:26 AM by drummingrocks »

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:40 AM »
I called the number on the website, and got a message that it had been disconnected.

Edit:  I got through on his cell number.  Sounds like a really good guy!

I can tell you this, he does beautiful work!