Author Topic: 69 "Sports appearance group with tape stripe" Which color tape?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Cigarwilki

Hello all!
I can't solve my riddle and I need help if you have it.
My car is a 1969 mustang sport roof. Sports appearance group. Not Mach. Not GT.
When originally sold the build sheets and any/all other paperwork for these cars listed "with tape stripe" if it had the stripes. I have discovered there are three possible tape stripe part numbers (color combinations) that my car might have had but I don't know which went on mine. Supposedly it was based on interior and exterior colors.

These are not Mach 1 stripes and not GT stripes. They are specific to this year only and specific to the sports appearance group.

Apparently there would have been a list/diagram/poster/etc at the assembly line to let builders know which stripe to add to a car based on body style, interior color, exterior color, and package. Does anyone know where I can find this info?  I tried Marti. I tried a buddy with antique micro fish. The color just isn't listed with sales documents period.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:15:03 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 mustang: sport roof; sports appearance group; pastel gray; deluxe interior; factory 351W 4V with FMX and quad chrome tip dual exhaust, A/C, power steering, power brakes, front disc, AM radio; dealer undercoating (I think).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 "Sports appearance group with tape stripe" Which tape?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
First - welcome to the site - hope you find the assistance and information here helpful in your concours related endeavours

Hello all!
I can't solve my riddle and I need help if you have it.

My car is a 1969 mustang sport roof. Sports appearance group. Not Mach. Not GT.
When originally sold the build sheets and any/all other paperwork for these cars listed "with tape stripe" if it had the stripes. I have discovered there are three possible tape stripe part numbers (color combinations) that my car might have had but I don't know which went on mine. Supposedly it was based on interior and exterior colors.

These are not Mach 1 stripes and not GT stripes. They are specific to this year only and specific to the sports appearance group.

Yes have owned a few NOS sets of these stripes that basically look like the Grande stripes

Like other things that come in different colors there were (from my understanding) typically groupings but a buyer (if the car was a customer order) could be built with any color combination but if it was just an order to build inventory then it would most likely follow the normal combinations

Apparently there would have been a list/diagram/poster/etc at the assembly line to let builders know which stripe to add to a car based on body style, interior color, exterior color, and package. Does anyone know where I can find this info? .

You might look at the ordering forms for 69, examples (that match your interior and exterior colors) in other cars including Grandes and possible see if your buck tag (guess based on where you originally posted you have a NJ car)  as well as your buildsheets. It would not IMHO have ":with tape stripe" printed on the form. Instead a box marked with an X or code that would indicate the color.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cigarwilki

Re: 69 "Sports appearance group with tape stripe" Which color tape?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for relocating my post to the more appropriate location. I thought maybe the assembly plant forum would be appropriate but I guess it would have been the same everywhere.
And thanks for your thoughts!

Yes it is a NJ car. Buck tag doesn't give conclusive info. Door tag lists body as 63B (deluxe) and trim as 5AA. I assume the extra A indicates sports appearance group but that's just a guess. I've heard that the Grande stripe is in a different location/ different style or shape than a sport roof but I have no conclusive info on that. Picture added is what I believe mine should look like but not sure. I don't have my original build sheet but the build sheet that came with the car in the picture lists "sports appearance group with tape stripe" in the options. My Marti report lists the same. Assuming my car was ordered with the packages listed in the VIN, door tag, and buck tag, it's not a special order, just unusual options.  I don't know if it was customer ordered or typical build but the tape stripe should be what Ford had selected for those options if the customer didn't specify. Marti report shows nothing about a special customer selection.

You mentioned ordering forms for 1969. I haven't seen that. I'll be looking it up on google. Thanks again!

1969 mustang: sport roof; sports appearance group; pastel gray; deluxe interior; factory 351W 4V with FMX and quad chrome tip dual exhaust, A/C, power steering, power brakes, front disc, AM radio; dealer undercoating (I think).

Offline Cigarwilki

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »
Photo

Offline Cigarwilki

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
Photo

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Yes it is a NJ car. Buck tag doesn't give conclusive info. Door tag lists body as 63B (deluxe) and trim as 5AA. I assume the extra A indicates sports appearance group but that's just a guess. I've heard that the Grande stripe is in a different location/ different style or shape than a sport roof but I have no conclusive info on that.

Well then rather than assuming that what someone told you was correct I would suggest you start fresh so that you don't follow down the wrong path and not consider other possibilities since you have little or nothing at this point. The picture of the other car IMHO just distracts and limits the possibilities

.......I don't have my original build sheet but the build sheet that came with the car in the picture lists "sports appearance group with tape stripe" in the options. My Marti report lists the same. Assuming my car was ordered with the packages listed in the VIN, door tag, and buck tag, it's not a special order, just unusual options.  I don't know if it was customer ordered or typical build but the tape stripe should be what Ford had selected for those options if the customer didn't specify. Marti report shows nothing about a special customer selection.

The Marti report should indicate what kind of order it was though

Is the window sticker you posted above from your car or again from someone else's? It appears not to be for your car since it has a charge for special paint. Remember that if part of a promotion additional details (even stripes) could have been altered or added to fit the dealers need and promotion theme.  Promotions that come to mind are the Twisters, ARI Pace cars and the like If just a special order for an individual then that would possibly be different. Another reason not to just copy what you might find on another car.  ;)

Would guess that you have already looked at the 69 MPC (or even 70) and found the list of factory tape stripes that they service, the colors available and any notes associated with those stripes and applications

Jeff Speegle

Offline Cigarwilki

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Yes Jeff I understand. The paper is from that green car as well. I used that example to show the tape stripe is part of the sports appearance group. And that car is supposedly mostly unmollested so I thought it has a good chance of displaying the correct style of stripe.

My Marti report does say it was a retail order. I'm not sure what it means. I'll post a picture of the report.

Tape stripe options for sports appearance package 1969 sport roof:
White outside stripes with gold inside
C9ZZ6320000U
White outside stripes with red inside
C9ZZ6320000S
Black outside with red inside
C9ZZ6320000T

Just don't know how to find out which is mine.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:48:08 PM by krelboyne »
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
Retail means that it was customer special ordered.

Think it might be better to refer to those as customer ordered since "special order" requires the long DSO, additional paperwork, non-RPO feature and documentation in the glove box on deliver. For a Customer Order it would just mean that the car was ordered and payment (or payment method) had been arranged.

Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
Door tag lists body as 63B (deluxe) and trim as 5AA. I assume the extra A indicates sports appearance group but that's just a guess.

If memory serve me correctly I think you will find the AA indicates the dark walnut wood grain trim instead of the light teak wood grain.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
If memory serve me correctly I think you will find the AA indicates the dark walnut wood grain trim instead of the light teak wood grain.

That would match the build date since the change was months before this car was assembled
Jeff Speegle

Offline Cigarwilki

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
Scott, TOB, and Jeff,
Thanks!  Yes Scott, that is my car. It apparently currently has the wrong pin striping on it. Lol
The extre "A" for Dark walnut makes sense. That's what it has.