Author Topic: Numbers matching seats. Who knew?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Cigarwilki

Numbers matching seats. Who knew?
« on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
So I'm surprised to have found aluminum tags on the bottoms of all my seats while looking for a build sheet. I guess it's a thing.  Surprised I never heard of it!

Is it common?  Thoughts?
1969 mustang: sport roof; sports appearance group; pastel gray; deluxe interior; factory 351W 4V with FMX and quad chrome tip dual exhaust, A/C, power steering, power brakes, front disc, AM radio; dealer undercoating (I think).

Offline Cigarwilki

Re: Numbers matching seats. Who knew?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
Image 3
1969 mustang: sport roof; sports appearance group; pastel gray; deluxe interior; factory 351W 4V with FMX and quad chrome tip dual exhaust, A/C, power steering, power brakes, front disc, AM radio; dealer undercoating (I think).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
"Who knew?"  Members that have been here for a while and many owners ;)

Just a label/tag that identified the frame and springs used by the supplier. Not a Ford thing.

If you check the search feature this has been discussed a number of times for other years including a period when these were made out of a cardboard material
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Keeping with Jeff's consistent question - what plant? The San Jose assembly plant used a seat frame company located in the Los Angeles area and I've seen more paper tags on early (64-67) seats from them.
When I rebuild a seat I make it a point to reuse the tags with a new hog ring. I guess that's why I can't find any seat tags in the "tag heaven" container.
I do have a 3 3/4 X 1 7/8 paper tag with part number "C4ZB 6563810 A", "Quantity 100", "badge no 40", date "blank", from the "Young Spring & Wire Corp. Archbold, Ohio". The base number "63810" does not appear in either the illustrated or part number section so I assume that "63810" is a sub-component part of a seat, probably the frame. Ford service sold partially completed seats, frames were assembled. The tag is now a novelty. It exists but what it identifies is unknown.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Cigarwilki

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
Very interesting though Jim. Thanks for the note. My car is from the Metuchen New Jersey plane. It was assembled June 13th 1969.