Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

289 Z Casting Number

(1/3) > >>

MK1_Oz:
Good Morning,

Been reading this forum for a while but never joined (sorry).  I have a question that my fellow Mustang lovers on the Australian Mustang forum (mustang.org.au) cannot answer and I am hoping somebody over there can.

I have a 289 block that has a casting number of Z5AE-6015-A.  What is this from and when was it made?  It doesn't follow the usual Ford numbering system.

It has 289 cast into the valley but does NOT say anything about Mexico in there.  It has 2T441 stamped into the bellhousing mouting flange.  Although I did not measure them, the mains caps look quite narrow so I doubt they are the wider HiPo style ones.

I have spent hours researching via the interweb but have only found TWO other references to this casting number!!

J_Speegle:
How did you determine it was a 289?

Another item is that the date code format is backwards from 60's style built block.

Might it from a 80's or 90's Ford vehicle will look some more and others will offer their experiences

MK1_Oz:
289 cast into the lifter valley.  could well be a later engine.  No idea what it came out of or when.

C6ZZGT:
How about the eng assm date stamp on the lh front ?

67gtasanjose:
Perhaps the block was cast in the country of Mexico?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version