Author Topic: rear qtr extension defect  (Read 1642 times)

Offline joe747

rear qtr extension defect
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
got my car painted and i am putting it back together. i just noticed that the pass. side rear qtr. extension seems to be a bad casting . it is orginal to the car .it looks like it is off level but the under side of the extension is not made right . do not know  to post a pic which would show what i mean . anyone notice this on their  car

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline joe747

Re: rear qtr extension defect
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
got my car painted and i am putting it back together. i just noticed that the pass. side rear qtr. extension seems to be a bad casting . it is orginal to the car .it looks like it is off level but the under side of the extension is not made right . do not know  to post a pic which would show what i mean . anyone notice this on their  car

Offline Cobrajet428

• Photos of my '70 Mach 1 428Cj 4-spd
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
Hi joe747 - was any work done on the rear quarter that side? Something's not right, and it sure seems that the extension wouldn't sit right relative to the quarter with it cocked to one side like that. The mounting holes for the extension are large enough that you can tilt it somewhat, but with the extension lined up to the top and side of the end of the quarter, the rest should fall into place. Tail light panel replaced or patched? Are the two tail light holes in line with each other? Here's a rear shot of my car if it's helpful. (This is an older photo - horizontal stripe sits a little low and blackout wasn't done around the honeycomb panel yet) Let me know if there's anything you'd like measured or photo'd. :
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:06:20 PM by Cobrajet428 »

Offline joe747

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »
qtr and taillite panel have been changed .i never noticed it when i was working on the car , but were the extension meets up with the trunk lid, it is  even top and bottom with the lid and then it taper ( gets smaller toward the curve ).my brother has an orginal unpainted car and his the same . i am wondering  if ford made a bunch that were made wrong . need to take a poll on other cars