Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 and Boss 302 rear spoilers and other black paint treatment  (Read 2176 times)

Offline HDAshmore

What is the correct black paint to buy for a 70 Mach 1 rear spoiler, and a 70 Boss 302 rear spoiler, 70 engine bay and then the Boss 302 black out trunk paint?  I know the trunk paint is different texture so hopefully someone can expound on that.  I would be spraying with compressor and gun not a rattle can if paint is available that way.

Thanks for all
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Not sure which plant your car was built at since you didn't include that detail.

Some of the parts would have been painted by the supplier (spoilers and louvers for one) while taillight panels, trunk lids and so would have been painted at the car plant so there is the possibility that a different product could have been used. We already know the application (how they were applied) is typically different

From my understanding the

1- Spoiler and stands were sprayed with texture

2- Taillight bezels at Dearborn were not textured

3- Louvers  were not textured

4- Taillight panel and trunk area was textured

5- Rear window molding was textured

As far as current products availability that is the challenge as is can vary depending on where you live, what your painter is willing to apply and what you might be able to ship in. For the textured paint the original product was DDL-9381 for the non-textured a product like Ditzler DDL-9423 could be used if you could find a suitable replacement.

You might want to start with Auto Color Library/TCP Global  (no connection) and see what they are current making or have available for each purpose/finish.

Problem reported with allot of the new replacement paints is that it does not hold up at all to a splash or contact with modern fuels. Always a possibility when filling up these cars.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

Jeff,

As always, huge help!  Thanks.  Both my cars are 70 Dearborn Jan and Mar.  Was hoping there was a quart of something on the market for the Mach 1 stuff and a good article and product for the B2 stuff I could reference and buy a product from whatever supplier carries it.  Is there something on the market now preferred by most for the engine compartment and Mach 1 Louvers and spoiler?

v/r
Dan

Offline HDAshmore

Forgot location, good ole center of the USA.  Cars now reside in Kansas.

v/r
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
For the engine compartment black I suggest you use the search feature. It has been the subject of allot of prior threads. In a number of them you should find suggestions, what worked for others and that sort of info
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)