Author Topic: Parking brake parts - 65  (Read 2348 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Parking brake parts - 65
« on: July 23, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »
I am slowly re-assemblying my '65 K code (San Jose/2.16.1965) that's been in my garage for 20 plus years awaiting restoration.  So far I'm unable to locate these parking brake parts: equalizer, equalizer lever, and the equalizer rod.  There are quite a few used ones on eBay and re-pops in vendors' catalogs, but before I start buying I'd like to know if any of these parts had a date stamp or other ID markings.  I want to keep the parts on the car as correct as possible for my early assembly date, but I don't know if any of these parts actually carried a stamp of any kind I should be aware of.  Would appreciate any advice, and if someone has any of these original used pieces for sale, I'm here.  Thank you!  Ron...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:47:22 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Parking brake parts
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
None of those park brake cable pieces were date-stamped.

Go for original or NOS.  Note there are differences in the rear cables in where the rubber insulators are positioned/sectioned and also the thickness of the insulators.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:31 PM »
None of those park brake cable pieces were date-stamped.

Go for original or NOS.  Note there are differences in the rear cables in where the rubber insulators are positioned/sectioned and also the thickness of the insulators.
+1 -to add also that the NOS brake parts typically are plated silver and the assemblyline parts more typically then not were bare steel. Others may have different observations. :) The plating is easy to strip off if you choose to.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:07:38 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
Faced with clear zinc on NOS parts, early American rust on used and/or an appropriate dip in Evapo-Rust, consider bead blasting and a lite phosphate and oil treatment. The spring should be darker to replicate heat treatment. The nut on the threaded rod should be clear zinc plated.
I've found two different threaded rods with the difference being the length of the threaded portion. I don't know if this is a vendor variation, NOS vs assembly line, or an early/late phenomena.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »
The equalizer bracket, the piece that the 2 cable ends attach should be zinc w/dichromate (gold color).  The threaded shaft should be the same.  The equalizer bar is usually clear zinc plated.  The 2 brackets at the frame rail, one on inside, one on outside for each side... the outer would be natural, but the inner was dipped in black paint.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
The equalizer bracket, the piece that the 2 cable ends attach should be zinc w/dichromate (gold color).  The threaded shaft should be the same.  The equalizer bar is usually clear zinc plated.  The 2 brackets at the frame rail, one on inside, one on outside for each side... the outer would be natural, but the inner was dipped in black paint.
I guess we can agree to disagree. I amended my post.  :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
I guess we can agree to disagree. I amended my post.  :)

What have you seen differently?  I've seen the plating's consistently on original cars, cars I have restored, parts found, etc...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
What have you seen differently?  I've seen the plating's consistently on original cars, cars I have restored, parts found, etc...
The 65/66 SJ cars I have worked with I have found the equalizer bracket, the piece that the 2 cable ends attach, the equalizer bar is more typically then not bares steel. The the threaded adjusting shaft /bare steel or P/O . These same observations are consistent from what I have seen 65-69 (i don't study 70 and up) from what I have seen. Just what I have observed on 65-70 Shelby cars (I never thought it would be any different on regular Mustang) that were ether survivor type or ones I have disassembled during restoration. I have always found the service parts plated.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:05:34 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
I agree with Bob somewhat. What I have found is either bare steel or, in the case of the threaded rod, clear zinc - all rusty. Most of the cars I see were built in San Jose. Charles is relatively consistent in his observations that many parts are gold zinc plated, but seldom specifies plant. Paraphrasing the words of Jeff, everybody should not rush out and make the changes they see or read.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 02:15:05 PM »
I agree with Bob somewhat. What I have found is either bare steel or, in the case of the threaded rod, clear zinc - all rusty. Most of the cars I see were built in San Jose. Charles is relatively consistent in his observations that many parts are gold zinc plated, but seldom specifies plant. Paraphrasing the words of Jeff, everybody should not rush out and make the changes they see or read.
Jim

Jim, if I know there is a difference between assembly plants, I will always add that or specify if something is unique to one assembly plant.

Surprised of the findings on the '65 equalizer bracket and threaded adjusting stud.  I'm always careful to clean original parts when I disassemble cars and this has been very consistent with gold color no matter what the assembly plant.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
Pics of the pieces in question from Mike Murray's 4k Unrestored early Dearborn coupe, believe the sch build date is late August '64.  I've found the same finishes on any 65-66 originals that were in decent enough condition to clean/inspect.

The 3rd pic is of Mike's June '65 Dearborn unrestored convertible.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
Charles--Those pictures are immensely helpful, not only in the finish (what is that copper-appearing finishing on the equalizer and the rod?), but in the final assembled configuration.  Many thanks, Ron.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
The goldish color is what is called zinc dichromate or zinc with dichromate.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
And who does that kind of finish work?  Would it be my local chrome shop, or?  Thanks, Ron.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Chrome shops usually do not handle this type of plating.  There are lots of places, web search should give some options.