Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Carburetor Parts Plating - 65 Autolite 4100

(1/3) > >>

jwc66k:
I talked with my plater about the bronze/copper finish on the choke housing (seen in the picture), the cover for the vacuum secondaries diaphragm (also seen), the accelerator pump cover and the power valve cover (neither show). I have what appears to be an original power valve cover and it's a shiny copper almost gold zinc finish.
I'm looking for opinions, references and/or comments on the four items listed above as to color and shade.
Jim
Revised to include the two (I found another sample) covers, the secondary vacuum diaphragm and the power valve. The first picture was taken in diffused sunlight, the second in direct. (The black tape is to help the camera focus.)
Jim

jwc66k:
Added two cover pictures.
Jim

J_Speegle:
Have seen originals where the body was dyed also. Just6 doesn't seem to hold up as well on the cast body as other places/parts. Thy might not have soaked the body and the lid as long but there is a gold tint to some.

Some pictures (sorry 66 version rather than 65) to help the discussion Some posted earlier  Thanks

Going to have to address some of the same details since I've got one that needs restoring/rebuilding

jwc66k:
Jeff,
Thanks. A little while ago, I took a choke housing and a power valve cover to my plater to experiment. I included a second power valve cover that has a very distinct gold tint on the inside, as in I believe it's original. The outside is "worn" gold. Naturally, I forgot to take a picture.
Jim

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on August 01, 2017, 07:29:13 PM ---Jeff,
Thanks. A little while ago, I took a choke housing and a power valve cover to my plater to experiment. I included a second power valve cover that has a very distinct gold tint on the inside, as in I believe it's original. The outside is "worn" gold. Naturally, I forgot to take a picture.
Jim

--- End quote ---
Just a FYI, i have found in my novice plating attempts that the amount of gold color will in a large part depend on how much zinc content is on the surface. The more zinc the more the gold will stick. Some carb castings seem to lose that zinc on the surface over time and after various rebuild sessions and will not take the gold as well. Sometimes you have to lightly zinc plate the casting to add enough zinc to the surface for the gold to stick to. That is when you have to play with it to get the results you want. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version