Author Topic: a/c bracket color  (Read 1624 times)

Offline elim

a/c bracket color
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:19:06 PM »
What shade of black are all the different brackets and a/c compressor---thanks

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: a/c bracket color
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
What shade of black are all the different brackets and a/c compressor---thanks
The same between SB and BB. Compressor upper bracket satin to semi gloss black because it was dipped. Upper adjuster idler pulley- black pulley zinc phosphate center with zinc phosphate base bracket, lower fixed idler pulley the same as upper. Lower compressor bracket -bare cast iron.I hope this helps. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:37:43 AM »
I've found many of the lower cast iron brackets painted semi-gloss black on San Jose cars during this period. And if it's the same as the ones they put into the dealer installed (supplied by the same company) then some were phosphate with natural machined surfaces. I rarely even find surface rust on these brackets in my area which might support the coating idea for many more

I've attached a FE AC kit boxed in 69 to illustrate what Bob discribed and what I've been finding also

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »
I've found many of the lower cast iron brackets painted semi-gloss black on San Jose cars during this period. And if it's the same as the ones they put into the dealer installed (supplied by the same company) then some were phosphate with natural machined surfaces. I rarely even find surface rust on these brackets in my area which might support the coating idea for many more

I've attached a FE AC kit boxed in 69 to illustrate what Bob discribed and what I've been finding also

Thanks Jeff a picture is worth a thousand words. FYI the 70 idler pulleys have the center caps a larger size in the raised center area compared to the pictured 69 style. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:32 PM »
ditto above....I just got a NOS 1970 non adjustable 351 lower ac pulley and the bracket is bare,pulley black.......box dated 1971

I know service parts are not always assembly line same....but thats what I got.....
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue