Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

NEED HI PO CYLINDER HEAD IDENTIFIED

(1/2) > >>

barnett468:
Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I took these heads off a very good running car last week to install a smaller cam and regular heads since it was just a 289 in a plain 65 coupe which didn't deserve these heads so I am going to sell them as soon as I know exactly what the C5 head is from.

1 head is an early non smog type 67. The other head has a late 66 date with a C5 casting number and I am wondering exactly what it might have come on since the date seems like it would be for an early 67.

CASTING ... DATE

C7ZE .......... 7B3

C50E .......... 6K27

Thanks in advance for any help

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: barnett468 on September 27, 2017, 11:14:06 PM ---I took these heads off a very good running car last week to install a smaller cam and regular heads since it was just a 289 in a plain 65 coupe which didn't deserve these heads so I am going to sell them as soon as I know exactly what the C5 head is from.

1 head is an early non smog type 67. The other head has a late 66 date with a C5 casting number and I am wondering exactly what it might have come on since the date seems like it would be for an early 67.

CASTING ... DATE

C7ZE .......... 7B3

C50E .......... 6K27

--- End quote ---
Probable not originally from the same car. After 50 years of hot rodding, anything is possible. C7ZE (a -A to complete the casting number but cast elsewhere on the head) would be for a 67 289HP cast in February 1967. It has provisions for machining to be Thermactor head. The C5OE (also a -A to complete the number) was used from 64 thru 67 as a 289HP head, and cast in October 1966. The difference in casting dates is over three months, possible but not probable (50 years again). Both should have a casting mold number on a tab on the front of the left head (as installed) - you tell me. As HP heads, the rockers should screw into the head in a recess machined into the casting. Everything else needs measurements (valve dia, etc).
Jim

barnett468:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on September 28, 2017, 12:31:10 AM ---Probable not originally from the same car. After 50 years of hot rodding, anything is possible. C7ZE (a -A to complete the casting number but cast elsewhere on the head) would be for a 67 289HP cast in February 1967. It has provisions for machining to be Thermactor head. The C5OE (also a -A to complete the number) was used from 64 thru 67 as a 289HP head, and cast in October 1966. The difference in casting dates is over three months, possible but not probable (50 years again). Both should have a casting mold number on a tab on the front of the left head (as installed) - you tell me. As HP heads, the rockers should screw into the head in a recess machined into the casting. Everything else needs measurements (valve dia, etc).
Jim

--- End quote ---

I know what hi po heads are. I have had many of them. I also know theses heads were not installed on the same engine when new. They were installed on different engines so they are mismatched heads. All I want to know is what I already asked which is what did the c5 head come off of? Was it off a 66 or 67 car? It does not see like a complicated question to me but maybe it is.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: barnett468 on September 28, 2017, 12:42:25 AM ---
I know what hi po heads are. I have had many of them. I also know theses heads were not installed on the same engine when new. They were installed on different engines so they are mismatched heads. All I want to know is what I already asked which is what did the c5 head come off of? Was it off a 66 or 67 car? It does not see like a complicated question to me but maybe it is.

--- End quote ---
6K27 casting date would be during 1967 production.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: barnett468 on September 28, 2017, 12:42:25 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Wow - ::)     Think Jim was only offering help since he (nor the rest of the members here) had no way of telling what your level of knowledge was.

Hope this will help

The 7B head would not be for an early 67 but a later second half engine.  So both would have possibly come on 67 Hipo engines if everything else checks out or as service parts that sat on shelves and were later installed as replacements.

Not certain when the Thermactor bump was introduced into the casting of Hipo heads in preparation for the mid April introduction of those systems on Calif delivered cars but would check for that feature/landmark also while your looking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version