Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Clear coat over bluing

(1/2) > >>

carguytroy:
I read here that some folks are using gun bluing on spindles, other suspension parts.  Can you clear coat over that to keep the color?

J_Speegle:
You can  but would suggest that you don't.

Been there tried it and even in a low humidity section of the US still ended up stripping it off and oiling. Biggest challenge was repairing the finish with the parts installed when they are clear. If its on oiled parts then you just deal with the rust, recolor if needed and oil again.  Spraying clear runs the risk of the overspray going when you don't want it and you need to strip the whole part since blending isn't going to work well IMHO

Plenty of testimonies in other threads if you've read the threads you saw them.

carguytroy:
Read a couple but didn’t see anything about the clear coat. Good to know. Just re blue it I guess when rust appears?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: carguytroy on October 24, 2017, 12:25:07 AM ---Read a couple but didn’t see anything about the clear coat. Good to know. Just re blue it I guess when rust appears?

--- End quote ---
Yes, but still oil it with a rust inhibitor like T9 or similar.   

carguytroy:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 24, 2017, 02:55:22 AM --- Yes, but still oil it with a rust inhibitor like T9 or similar.

--- End quote ---

What is T9? The bike chain oil?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version