Author Topic: 6cyl single exhaust  (Read 1916 times)

Offline sparky65

6cyl single exhaust
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
I am all confused right now about the exhaust system.  I am trying to buy a new one and want to know how many pieces i need.  I think there should be an inlet pipe, an intermediate pipe, a muffler and an outlet pipe.  Where the confusion starts is should some of these pieces be welded together?  I see some places sell a muffler with  a welded outlet pipe.  Anyone know if there is a brand that is better then all the rest or are they all pretty much the same?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: 6cyl single exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »
You should be fine with a complete system available from VA Mustang or NPD. They will tell you the kit you need, should be an aluminum coated system.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Well I just bought the set from NPD but I cant seem to get it to fit. First of all is cutting and bending usually required? The biggest problem seems to be with the intermediate pipe. Just before it enters the muffler where it bends up and over the axle hits the trunk floor when I try to raise the end by the inlet pipe a few inches off the ground. Even if I take the end out of the muffler the inlet end is angled so far down there is no way it will line up with the inlet pipe. Also the inlet pipe seems to be a few inches too long to fit in the intermediate pipe. Has anyone had similar problems with this system? If this is common and I need to make it work how do I re-bend the pipe? I remember from when I used to bend conduit that it was impossible in most cases to remove a bend without flattening or kinking it.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »
Well I just bought the set from NPD but I cant seem to get it to fit. First of all is cutting and bending usually required? The biggest problem seems to be with the intermediate pipe. Just before it enters the muffler where it bends up and over the axle hits the trunk floor when I try to raise the end by the inlet pipe a few inches off the ground. Even if I take the end out of the muffler the inlet end is angled so far down there is no way it will line up with the inlet pipe. Also the inlet pipe seems to be a few inches too long to fit in the intermediate pipe. Has anyone had similar problems with this system? If this is common and I need to make it work how do I re-bend the pipe? I remember from when I used to bend conduit that it was impossible in most cases to remove a bend without flattening or kinking it.

Never had any luck with vendor bought exhaust.  When we took the original exhaust off our show car and replaced it with repo, we had to take the repo parts to the muffler shop and have it modified to fit.  The original NOS pieces fit perfect.  I don't recommend buying vendor exhaust unless you have to (my muffler shop couldn't get a pre made Y pipe so thats why we bought one).  They always need fitted to the car. Take it to your local exhaust guy and have him make it work.

People think they are saving money by buying a prebent system from a Mustang vendor, but when you ALWAYS have to take it and have it tweaked - it ends up costing more money.  For a driver it is better in my opinion to go ahead and have the local guy make you a good setup.

Dave

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
Ineresting...In August, I installed a single exhaust system purchased from NPD in a 67 coupe. The Y-pipe, intermediate pipe, and muffler fit perfectly. Used the original muffler brackets and everything aligned up properly.

Maybe this is one of those your mileage may vary things wit the parts vendors...

To be factory correct, your tail pipe will need to be welded to the muffler. The intermediate pipe is clamped at the Y-pipe and at the muffler inlet.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »

Maybe this is one of those your mileage may vary things wit the parts vendors...

Well I am not really sure how they are made.  I don't know if they have some type of jig or is a guy measuring and bending.  Its easy to see how one could be diffrent from the next.

To be factory correct, your tail pipe will need to be welded to the muffler. The intermediate pipe is clamped at the Y-pipe and at the muffler inlet.
This is a 6cyl so no Y-pipe.  I  actually am starting to think it should be one long piece from muffler to manifold.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe