1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1970 Mustang

1970 9" rear axle housing yellow paint

(1/4) > >>

1970 Snake:
So I am a bit confused, as I have see several people say the yellow paint marking on the rear axle housing flange of a 1970 mustang is on the drivers side, and have seen a resent magazine article where Bob Perkins has detail a 1970 Boss 429 rear axle and he has put the yellow paint on the driver side. But when stripping the dirt and rust off my axle housing the yellow paint is definitely on the passenger side flange and area. Would like comments on this as I am going to apply the yellow paint to the passenger side as original to my car axle and want to make sure this is also correct.

J_Speegle:
Have original examples of that yellow mark on either end of the rear end housing during 69-70 production side apparently it does not indicate direction of installation but something else. In any case document and reproduce what you find IMHO

specialed:
we have a original car in shop now with the yellow on passenger side & seen many that way.

bgp429:

--- Quote from: 1970 Snake on December 03, 2017, 11:46:31 PM ---So I am a bit confused, as I have see several people say the yellow paint marking on the rear axle housing flange of a 1970 mustang is on the drivers side, and have seen a resent magazine article where Bob Perkins has detail a 1970 Boss 429 rear axle and he has put the yellow paint on the driver side. But when stripping the dirt and rust off my axle housing the yellow paint is definitely on the passenger side flange and area. Would like comments on this as I am going to apply the yellow paint to the passenger side as original to my car axle and want to make sure this is also correct.

--- End quote ---

Do you know where you saw the article? I need to restore a B9 rear end next summer. Thanks

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: bgp429 on December 04, 2017, 11:06:11 AM ---Do you know where you saw the article? I need to restore a B9 rear end next summer. Thanks

--- End quote ---

Did your car not have any marks on it when you disassembled?  The subject discussed here is a prefect example of why you don't want to copy someone elses marks since they are not always/often the same. Your rear end was likely more similar to another 9" non Boss 429 built around the same time than a random Boss 429 rear end that you don't know anything about.

Plus no telling what more we may uncover or learn in the next six months ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version