1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1968 Shelby

68 Shelby Vin and Completion Date Discussion

(1/22) > >>

Bob Gaines:
ADMIN NOTE: This thread was split from another discussion and moved to this section

--- Quote from: ruppstang on December 04, 2017, 08:55:44 AM ---Another mystery is the owner of this GT500 tells me that his Marti report says that this car is Shelby #055. That seems hard to believe since ours was built four days later and is Shelby # 602.

--- End quote ---

If you are comparing Shelby build dates vs Shelby number that can be explained. The build date is the finish date . I believe the cars were typically started in sequential order at Smith but not finished in sequential order many times. With that said a car with a earlier production Shelby VIN could have the same or close build date as a later production Shelby VIN marked car. This is for Shelby/AO Smith not Ford. The Ford line didn't have the issues that the Smith line did.  If you are talking Ford assemblyine build/completion dates that don't jive in relation to Ford VIN numbers that is more of a mystery IMO. 

J_Speegle:
Did find another example of our "hanging tag"  68 San Jose this time Cougar.

--- Quote from: ruppstang on December 04, 2017, 08:55:44 AM ---Another mystery is the owner of this GT500 tells me that his Marti report says that this car is Shelby #055. That seems hard to believe since ours was built four days later and is Shelby # 602.

--- End quote ---

Projected or real NJ date  (that should be somewhat easy to explain)  or are you comparing completion dates at AO SMith?

ruppstang:
The projected build date on our 68 GT350 was 12/16/67 actual build date was 12-02/67 Shelby production number is 602.

My friends 68 GT500 projected build date was 12/ 04/ 67 actual build date was 11/28/ 67 Shelby production number 055.

J_Speegle:

--- End quote ---

Marti what do you think of me splitting this other "mystery" off into its own thread?

Would guess that with Mr Disher's focus on 68 all these years he may have stuff he wants to add and I've compiled a short list I would be happen to post for the discussion

ruppstang:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 05, 2017, 01:07:02 AM ---Marti what do you think of me splitting this other "mystery" off into its own thread?

Would guess that with Mr Disher's focus on 68 all these years he may have stuff he wants to add and I've compiled a short list I would be happen to post for the discussion

--- End quote ---

Yes I agree it is off topic and should be under the Shelby heading.
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version