1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Coil spring washers and bolts

(1/2) > >>

Crgjohnson:
 Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build. The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should.  Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available? The bolts I removed were original and had never been disturbed.  Should I add the star washers or return to what I found originally? Was the finish on these bolt heads semi gloss black or black phosphate?  Thanks for any wisdom
Craig

CharlesTurner:
There will usually be a witness mark on the inner fender panel that will help answer your question.  If you know the car had disc washer and that matches the marks, then no doubt to go with disc.

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM ---Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build.

--- End quote ---
What's the (scheduled) build date?

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM ---The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should. Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available?
--- End quote ---
There was a transition between the earlier external tooth lock washer style and the toothed disc style. There are instances of a mix, especially on fender bolts as there may have been as many as six different inventory sources (buckets?) that they came from to facilitate fender installation.

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM ---The bolts I removed were original and had never been disturbed.  Should I add the star washers or return to what I found originally?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: caspian65 on December 11, 2017, 02:37:22 PM ---There will usually be a witness mark on the inner fender panel that will help answer your question.  If you know the car had disc washer and that matches the marks, then no doubt to go with disc.

--- End quote ---
As Charles said, look for witness, in this case - teeth, marks.
For reference, I have two October scheduled build San Jose Mustangs, a 15 Oct Hardtop, and an 18 Oct Fastback, and both have the toothed disc type bolts used everywhere except the hood safety latch (the bar in front of the hood latch post).

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM ---Was the finish on these bolt heads semi gloss black or black phosphate? 

--- End quote ---
The finish was phosphate and oil, with the shade ranging from a light to medium dark gray, almost black sometimes, not painted. The nuts used on the coil spring covers (the correct Ford name is "Front Suspension Bumper Bracket"), located in the wheel well, would get covered with soundproofing spray.
Jim

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Crgjohnson on December 11, 2017, 12:34:46 PM --- Restoring a 66 GT San Jose build. The original bolts I removed for this coil spring guard covers did not have star washers. The research I have done shows they should.  Is this one of those items that the line worker just grabbed whatever bolts were available? ......

--- End quote ---

Well they had to be in the bin/holder for the worker to grab them there would be a transition period if there were a change of supplier but with  enough sampling we can narrow it down for you

--- Quote from: caspian65 on December 11, 2017, 02:37:22 PM ---There will usually be a witness mark on the inner fender panel that will help answer your question.  If you know the car had disc washer and that matches the marks, then no doubt to go with disc.

--- End quote ---

+1. We can help with what other cars around your cars production period if you provide a guess as to when it might have been made. Dates from your engine (assembly date) as well as sheet metal will give you a "not before" date and a place to start.  All here to help you

Finish for your year and plant would be phosphate

Crgjohnson:
Wow all great answers. The car is a a Feb 22 1966 build. The witness marks support the serrated edge washers. I thought it was P&O but had been told by multiple people that is was painted black. I don't see an AMK kit with these in the correct finish. Are they reproduced? Thank you all for sharing your wisdom

Craig

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version