Author Topic: Emissions on a 68 S-Code  (Read 1925 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Emissions on a 68 S-Code
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
Hi Guys,

Did a search on the site and wanted to confirm a few things on my car.  I have a 68 GT S-Code 4spd, Power Disks, No A/C,  December build from Dearborn.  It's my understanding that the car should have come with the thermactor emissions system and the dual diaphram distributor C80F-D.  Is this correct?  Before I plunk money down on the smog system I want to make sure my car needs it. 

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline jwc66k

Re: Emissions on a 68 S-Code
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
- a 68 GT S-Code 4spd, Power Disks, No A/C,  December build from Dearborn - with the thermactor emissions system and the dual diaphram distributor C80F-D. 
Yes (the Ford part number is C8OF-D, an "O" not a "0").
You can verify this here - http://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/ and download it as your own copy of the 75 MPC.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
US DSO? Export and Canada DSO's may not have gotten Thermactor.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »
US DSO? Export and Canada DSO's may not have gotten Thermactor.

+1 Worth checking though the possibility is only a "maybe"

Do you have a Marti report for the car?  But we can start with your DSO if the door tag is original. 

If its US then yes it was a federal requirement by that year
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:27:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »
Just curious if anyone has actually documented the canada w/o smog ?

I feel pretty confident it didnt happen for Shelbys

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »
Just curious if anyone has actually documented the canada w/o smog ?

I feel pretty confident it didnt happen for Shelbys

Yes both with the Thermactor systems and other systems in 68. Likely have others but here are two examples (non-S codes but guessing that does not matter to begin). Also have examples were the emission system was not listed and likely like US cars

Not sure what they changed on a X code to remove or not include an emission system but here it is

Examples ordered from Canada that did get their US emission systems it appears from the report

And another X code Same ordering district. Maybe it has something to do with where the cars were going to be delivered not where they were ordered from.  Just a thought or possibility

As a side note NHRA for stock and superstock classes (if I recall the rules correctly) allowed a CJ head for those cars that was not machined for Thermactor that flowed better - referred to as "Canadian CJ heads"

If we want to discuss this further guess we can start another thread to dig deeper
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:25:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
Here's my report... so,  what now?  No emissions?  ???

Dave
Dave
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Here's my report... so,  what now?  No emissions?  ???

Looks like that confirms that your car did come with the Thermactor system.

Sorry for the discussion taking a turn about out of country and non-emission differences 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:14:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »
Interesting....is the lack of the system listed in the options (on the cj mustang) an indication?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:23 PM »
Interesting....is the lack of the system listed in the options (on the cj mustang) an indication?

Yes it IMHO indicates that the car was equipped with the standard features for that engine and transmission type and fulfilled or exceeded the requirements in the country it was ordered and planned for.

Since it was not an option and it was not deleted the standard practice for Kevin has been to not list things that were "automatic"

Heater is not listed unless deleted, standard wheels and hubcaps ................ are not listed. 

Emission related - If a J code 68 has an automatic or manual transmission (for others one would get the IMCO the other Thermactor) the difference in required emission systems is not noted since it was part of the engine ordered. Seems only things out side of the basic car or federal requirements are by example.   
That is the way I'm reading the information available

Likely have a few hundred Marti reports for Mustangs along with the Shelby ones I have. Likely the largest number (1968) of any year I have currently
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:45:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »
Ok... I'm a little confused.  Jeff,  you say in the first sentence it's confirmed that my car doesn't have it the later say it does.  My apologies, but maybe I'm confusing two different conversations.   So my car,  even though not listed,  should have it due to it being a required item?  Or it doesn't have it since it's not listed?

Cheers
Dave
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »
Ok... I'm a little confused.  Jeff,  you say in the first sentence it's confirmed that my car doesn't have it the later say it does.  My apologies, but maybe I'm confusing two different conversations.   So my car,  even though not listed,  should have it due to it being a required item?  Or it doesn't have it since it's not listed?

No reason to apologize my mistake for not being clearer. Modified my post and hope that it is clear now - My apologies
Jeff Speegle