Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Creating faux undercarriage paint drips

(1/10) > >>

Bossbill:
Somewhere I saw an article on how to replicate undercarriage floor paint drips using a hypodermic with a small sponge around the tip, sans needle, of course.
Maybe it was here -- maybe somewhere else.

I can't find it -- any help appreciated.

J_Speegle:
I recall at least one discussing the "faking" of the runs and drips on the undercarriage and the few pictures that accompanied the thread. Like you it may have been on another site but the search over there didn't turn anything up. If we discover it later we can always merge the two but its important enough to go over it again since there is a need.

Think Brent's posts of Jeremy's restoration of one of those cars may be the thread (linked) that we both may have been thinking of from a couple of years ago

I've not had to do it before (just went the "lots of paint route") but recall guys using rattle cans to focus on the low points, building the paint until it pooled and gathered then finally forming multiple drips as planned.  There are allot of these points so its going to take some time. A bunch of drips in one area while none in others is only going to look odd, inconsistent and unoriginal IMHO Also the body is going to need to be level and upside down.

The thin rattle cans will provide a very narrow pattern and you may need to come back and feather the edges away from the ribs once everything is dry so that the process is not obvious

Sure some others will have some additional experiences and thoughts to share

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on December 29, 2017, 03:38:22 PM ---A bunch of drips in one area while none in others is only going to look odd, inconsistent and unoriginal IMHO Also the body is going to need to be level and upside down.

--- End quote ---
Drips were not a desired characteristic. They occurred on the raised (downward) parts of the floor pan and mostly to the rear (caused by gravity and forced air drying?). There were a lot visible on the right side and very few on the left at the rear of the pan just before the upturn for the rear axle. They were all very solid, as in many years of drying. This was on a San Jose March 66 build.
Jim

Bossbill:
I should add that the 67-68 MCA judging guide states on 5A "primer paint drips should be visible . . . "

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on December 29, 2017, 07:08:41 PM ---I should add that the 67-68 MCA judging guide states on 5A "primer paint drips should be visible . . . "

--- End quote ---

Don't think that is important for the discussion ;)   It's IMHO more about what was original and how to replicate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version