Author Topic: 1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator  (Read 1937 times)

Offline 1968Cally

1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
Hi, My name is Dave and I just joined this forum due to my purchase of a 1968 GT/CS that is quite nice IMHO.  Attached are a few pictures.

I am trying to figure out what is correct for the Trunk Torsion Rods anti-rattle.
Currently, the rods are cinched together with a S-shaped clip.  On either side of the clip, on both rods, is the anti rattle spiral rubber/plastic pieces that extend all the way over to the 90 degree bends at each hinge.

I know the 65-66 coupes used a bracket that cinched the rods up to the underside of the package tray support and kept them apart.

Not sure what is correct for the '68.  Is that S clip that I have on there now not correct?  Should the anti rattle spirals just be a foot or so long in the center where the rods touch?  Any info is appreciated.  Pictures would be great!

Thanks.

Dave

Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
The only references to the trunk I can find are in the GT/CS registry (1996, Paul M. Newitt). It says "The GT/CS Trunk Lid is . .  identical to the one used on the '68 Shelby convertible." and a "- CS-only deck lid spring."
That's not much and there is no reference to anti-rattle or clips, but there is a lead to what possibly was used, Shelby.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
The only references to the trunk I can find are in the GT/CS registry (1996, Paul M. Newitt). It says "The GT/CS Trunk Lid is . .  identical to the one used on the '68 Shelby convertible." and a "- CS-only deck lid spring."
That's not much and there is no reference to anti-rattle or clips, but there is a lead to what possibly was used, Shelby.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.  I found a picture of a GT/CS and it does have the S clip and the rubber insulators like I have.  I am going to assume that the S clip is correct.  Not sure why the rubber insulators go all the way to the hinges as the rods are far apart at that point.
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
The S clip is correct for a 68 SJ car there were no rubber parts. On your trunk correctness thread on calaforniaspecial.com the photos of Mike J's. GTCS clearly  shows the S clip. That is a MCA Gold award concours trailered car and a good one to look at details on. The spiral rubber anti rattler was used in other assembly plants in 68.
I found a picture of the S clip on our 68 HCS.
Marty
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:18:30 PM by ruppstang »

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
The S clip is correct for a 68 SJ car there were no rubber parts. On your trunk correctness thread on calaforniaspecial.com the photos of Mike J's. GTCS clearly  shows the S clip. That is a MCA Gold award concours trailered car and a good one to look at details on. The spiral rubber anti rattler was used in other assembly plants in 68.
Marty
Once again, thank you Marty.  Sorry I have been such a pain.  After I posted, I did remember to go back and look at that car and indeed saw the S-clip and no rubber insulator.   With SJ only using the clip and no rubber explains why I saw what looked to be concours type cars having it both ways.

I just found this site a couple of days ago and it seems to get a little more traffic than the GTCS forum.  This wraps up the trunk thankfully.

Dave 
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 11:14:19 AM »
I am to assume that on my car there is the torsion rod clip but no rubber insulators? I can't seem to locate in the assembly manual that part of the trunk.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
Marty

+! the clip is correct for '68 and is found on both Mustang and Cougars that model year. Some of the real early '68 models had the split black rubber tube like was used in '67 model year so it must have been an early change to the clip.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 11:45:03 PM »
Dave - Thanks for joining. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration and concours projects

Just added the running change to those major threads. Did a survey for San Jose over the last couple of hours and will be posting what I've come up with. For San Jose in general the change was not really early in the production year but will cover that in detail later

We would need to know when your car was built Dave to provide some confirmation of your findings. We suggest that you add your cars information to your signature that way its always there and you don't have to keep answering that question every time you ask a question. As you will discover where and when your car was built (the real date if you've gotten it) makes allot of difference.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »
There's a nice unrestored 1968 Mustang coupe 8F01J12XXXX on BAT right now that has several nice shots of the clip holding the two torsion bars in the trunk.

I disagree that the four tires on the ground are original - but the spare looks right.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 09:29:55 PM »
There's a nice unrestored 1968 Mustang coupe 8F01J12XXXX on BAT right now that has several nice shots of the clip holding the two torsion bars in the trunk.

I disagree that the four tires on the ground are original - but the spare looks right.

You are right that is a very nice unrestored car. In another thread some time ago you said that you had a friend who has a 68 Mustang that had original Michelin radials on it. Did Ford use both BFG and Michelin radials in 68?   

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 10:43:19 PM »
It's not the answer you want but honestly I don't know. The BFG radials on this particular Mustang are listed as one of one on the Marti Report. That could be the case for Michelin Radial tires that year too. I don?t think Marti Reports were a thing while Gus had his Mustang.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 12:18:33 PM by RoyceP »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 12:29:01 AM »
I do not know either but did not think Michelin was an OEM supplier. It would be good to know the facts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 12:33:09 AM »
I do not know either but did not think Michelin was an OEM supplier. It would be good to know the facts.

Has to be in print somewhere. Just have to find it.  good subject for another thread once we figure it out  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)