General Discussion > General Discussion

Hope this site is better protected than SAAC Forum

(1/2) > >>

DKutz:
Please tell me that is website is better backed up and protected than SAAC was.  It would be horrible to lose all the info on here...

rodster:
+1000

midlife:
My understanding is that C. Turner backs up the forum regularly (probably once a month).  He works in the IT area as his day job, IIRC, so he pretty much knows what needs to be done.  He is one of the two main administrators. 

The worst that has happened to this forum is when Photobucket dropped its free support and required a $300 annual fee to use their service.  Many of the photos used for reference were stored on Photobucket and now are difficult if not impossible to retrieve.

rodster:

--- Quote from: midlife on January 29, 2018, 09:18:23 PM ---My understanding is that C. Turner backs up the forum regularly (probably once a month).  He works in the IT area as his day job, IIRC, so he pretty much knows what needs to be done.  He is one of the two main administrators. 

The worst that has happened to this forum is when Photobucket dropped its free support and required a $300 annual fee to use their service. Many of the photos used for reference were stored on Photobucket and now are difficult if not impossible to retrieve.

--- End quote ---

There is/was a browser 'fix' for that.  Don't know if it's still working but it was before the big SAAC crash and burn.

Do you find it an issue here?  I don't recall having a problem viewing photos.

CharlesTurner:
We pay extra for daily backups.  We can also download full backups of the database and the web server file system at any time.  There's a couple higher levels of site hosting that we may consider which have an even higher level of backup/restoration options.  Also, other improvements such as dedicated virtual servers instead of being on a shared system. 

Randy is right that I work in IT as my regular job.  I'm employed by a large bank, so the systems that I work with are enterprise level.  This site is a basic apache web server with mysql database and SMF forum software.  It's not very complicated and I like to keep it that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version